Options

Best book for 70-410

504tech504tech Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am getting ready to start studying for the 70-410 exam. What is the best book for this exam? I also have CBT nuggets for video training. Any feed back is welcome.

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Poulton for completeness, training guide for labs.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would also add in Group Policy by Jeremy Moskowitz, PowerShell by Don Jones and Active Directory by Brian Desmond. Worthwhile investments if you are pursuing the MCSA (or even if you are not).
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Poulton for completeness, training guide for labs.

Is that training guide the Microsoft Press one and by whom? I see several and looks like some might be outdated at this point.
  • Options
    http://www.amazon.com/MCSA-70-410-Cert-Guide-Configuring/dp/0789748800/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&sr=8-1&pebp=1447618825475&perid=0TD0NXC7SEFEDKZK7EBT

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Installing-Configuring-Windows-Microsoft/dp/0735684332/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&sr=8-6

I only used the former and did my own labs of the few things I haven't done. If you don't have much experience with 2012r2 I'd really suggest the training guides or looking for other lab books. I used just the training guides for 70-411 and 70-412. It was enough for 411 and I ended up not taking the 412 but instead the 74-409.

I'd suggest first getting the training guide and see if that's enough. Very mixed reviews on both books but I found the Poulton enough.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    http://www.amazon.com/MCSA-70-410-Cert-Guide-Configuring/dp/0789748800/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&sr=8-1&pebp=1447618825475&perid=0TD0NXC7SEFEDKZK7EBT

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Installing-Configuring-Windows-Microsoft/dp/0735684332/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&sr=8-6

I only used the former and did my own labs of the few things I haven't done. If you don't have much experience with 2012r2 I'd really suggest the training guides or looking for other lab books. I used just the training guides for 70-411 and 70-412. It was enough for 411 and I ended up not taking the 412 but instead the 74-409.

I'd suggest first getting the training guide and see if that's enough. Very mixed reviews on both books but I found the Poulton enough.

May I ask, are these books really good? Only 3.5 stars and only 16 reviews.
  • Options
    Really good? No probably not, any better books? Probably not, mastering 2012 R2 is another common suggestion, it gets mixed reviews too. It's not focused on any test and apparently lacks in powershell which has become a significant part of the tests. The big problem I think is Microsoft moves too fast on their tests and they'll likely be questions that aren't covered in any study material available and buried deep in technet.
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Really good? No probably not, any better books? Probably not, mastering 2012 R2 is another common suggestion, it gets mixed reviews too. It's not focused on any test and apparently lacks in powershell which has become a significant part of the tests. The big problem I think is Microsoft moves too fast on their tests and they'll likely be questions that aren't covered in any study material available and buried deep in technet.

Yes very true about the questions not being any of the books or anything. I think that's what screws me up when I take the exam. If they only stuck to one way then it would be some what easier then now. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    I like the Amazon.com: Training Guide Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 (MCSA) (Microsoft Press Training Guide) (9780735684331): Mitch Tulloch: Books. If I had to do my video series over again from start to finish I would use that book. My video series on the 70-410 is based off the Exam Ref 70-410 Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 (MCSA), which is a really good book as well.

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • Options
    systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    Reading the Microsoft Exam Press 7-410 training guide as we speak. On page 13 and it's pretty good so far.
  • Options
    vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like the Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 book. It's not structured for that exam, but has everything you need plus some. That along with the training guide and you should be good.
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like the Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 book. It's not structured for that exam, but has everything you need plus some. That along with the training guide and you should be good.

Check this out for everyone. I had someone sent this to me a while back when i was looking for this book. Mastering windows server is a big book to read but like you said it not setup for 70-410. But I guess he read it and took the time to put this together. Hopefully someone else could benefit from it.

Below is a list of sections that are very relevant to the 70-410 (although as stated above i would recommend reading the entire book)

Chapter 1: What's New in Windows Server 2012 R2 1
    Chapter 2: Installing and Upgrading to Windows Server 2012 R2 19
    Chapter 3: Introduction to Server Core 105
    Chapter 4: Windows Server 2012 R2 Networking Enhancements 147
    Chapter 5: IP Address Management and DHCP Failover 175 (DHCP is important but failover comes in 70-412)
    Chapter 6: DNS and Name Resolution in Windows Server 2012 R2 211 (DNS is something you need to know in-depth in all 3 exams)
    Chapter 7: Active Directory in Windows Server 2012 257
    Chapter 8: Creating and Managing User Accounts 377
    Chapter 9: Group Policy: AD's Gauntlet and Active Directory Delegation 467
    Chapter 12: Windows 2012 R2 Storage: Storage Spaces, SANish Abilities, and Better Tools 589
    Chapter 13: Files, Folders, and Basic Shares 649
    Chapter 14: Creating and Managing Shared Folders 703
    Chapter 16: Sharing Printers on Windows Server 2012 R2 Networks 827
    Chapter 17: Remote Server Administration 883
    Chapter 26: Advanced User Account Management and User Support 1267 (most of the advanced concepts wont be needed on 70-410 just be familiar with using Active directory admin center)
    Chapter 27: Server Virtualization with Hyper-V 1339
    Chapter 28: Managing Virtual Machines 1399
    Chapter 29: Installing, Using, and Administering Remote Desktop Services 1435
    Chapter 30: Monitoring Windows Server 2012 R2 1479
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Is William Panek's MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide (Exam 70-410, Exam 70-411 & Exam 70-412) good enough for passing the exams?
  • Options
    Maybe at one time but now not even close. I'd only use it if topics from the training guide and various technet articles isn't sticking.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    techfiend, I hope you can share with me why it isn't even close to the learning objectives set by Microsoft? What's the gap now? Thanks!
  • Options
    I've read from many that microsoft keeps pushing new technology on their tests and I can attest to this. The Panek is relatively old in that case and it doesn't cover some newer technologies and doesn't dive deep enough on some topics it covers. When the book was released it was probably enough to pass because it gets some good reviews during that time. I don't remember a whole lot in the Panek book but are Azure cmdlets covered?

It could be a good starter book but I think the training guides are just as easy to comprehend while diving deep enough and labs, lots of labs. Basically every topic you read about you also lab in the training guides. All but a few can be done in type II vm's as long as you have the RAM and disk space.
  • Options
    vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    Check this out for everyone. I had someone sent this to me a while back when i was looking for this book. Mastering windows server is a big book to read but like you said it not setup for 70-410. But I guess he read it and took the time to put this together. Hopefully someone else could benefit from it.

Below is a list of sections that are very relevant to the 70-410 (although as stated above i would recommend reading the entire book)

Wow! That would've been great to have when I was studying for this exam.
  • Options
    Dreday40Dreday40 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat trying to get a good book(s) to study for the 70-410. My experience level is very beginner as I am stepping up from the desktop side of the IT world.
  • Options
    djfx4468djfx4468 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone! This subject has probably already been done to death and been answered adequately a dozen times...but I'm still gonna ask LOL!
    I am going around in circles trying to determine what is the best book to prepare for 70-410. My experience is limited to running up member servers and installing business apps such as SQL server and Exchange. I do not have any deep-dive knowledge. I am flip flopping between these four books: Mastering Windows Server 2012 (Sybex), MCSA Complete Study Guide (Sybex), 70-410 Exam Ref and Training Guides (MS). I would like recommendations for a multi-book approach, say, one for deep-dive w/good lab exercises and one for the week leading up to the exam. Any advice on this would be much appreciated! Meanwhile, back to Mastering Windows Server 2012 (Sybex) icon_smile.gif