Options

Passed 70-413

Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
Passed the 70-413 exam yesterday on my fourth try.

I used the CBT nugget training videos, MS exam ref book and after my first exam I spent a lot of my time combining notes from the technet and the MS virtual academy.

This exam is full of surprises in terms of the scope of the study material, you never know if you studied enough or not.

Any way I will be looking to wrap up the MCSE before the year ends it took me long enough as it is.

Comments

• Options
    ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    good work...how many hours a day/week did u study ?
  • Options
    it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Passed the 70-413 exam yesterday on my fourth try.

This exam is full of surprises in terms of the scope of the study material, you never know if you studied enough or not.

Are they surprises in that they aren't topics from the stated objectives? Or are the questions more pulled from trivia/minutia that the published study materials never seem to cover?

I am using the MOAC book http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Implementing-Infrastructure-Microsoft-Official-ebook/dp/B00P6SS6XE/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me= which is more detailed than the MS Press books along with CBT Nuggets. I am hoping these with a practice test will be sufficient.
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice signature especially the Einstein quotes.

Congrats on getting your MCSA.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ed_003 wrote: »
    good work...how many hours a day/week did u study ?

2 to 3 hours on average during the week, sometimes half a day during weekends that's if I am not too busy. I have been struggling to balance studying, work and my lifestyle hence it took me long enough to complete this exam, I started studying for it around April until recently.

it2b wrote: »
    Are they surprises in that they aren't topics from the stated objectives? Or are the questions more pulled from trivia/minutia that the published study materials never seem to cover?

I have come across about 5 questions on office 365 active directory integration (something like that) but I don't remember coming across anything about office 365 in the above mentioned study material. I know that system center is covered in the study material SCVMM in particular but only to a limit you will also see it in the objectives, don't get me wrong there are questions in the exam that cover the objectives but at some point the exam got deeper into system center which is obviously against the odds that most of us would know the answers to everything about system center with an entry level knowledge. I also saw a question about Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) and they asked us a question about configuring ODX using powershell and changing some values on the registry and we had to choose which output was correct honestly and speaking for myself this was all foreign to me and once again it's not in the study material, I had to look for it on Technet. There were more questions like these but I can't remember most of them.
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Nice signature especially the Einstein quotes.

Congrats on getting your MCSA.

Thanks man! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    JohnnyUtah41JohnnyUtah41 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm curious. You said it took you 4 times to pass the 70-413. I know i saw a recent package that gets you study material plus 4 retakes. My question is, when i passed the mcsa last year, i was under the impression that you only get 3 tries per exam to pass, and if you fail.you are locked out for 1 year. Am i wrong? did something change? any idea?
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! These tests are getting pretty hard and without the current Booster Pack deal is probably not worth the effort unless you can afford brick and mortar training and have nerves of steel.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    I'm curious. You said it took you 4 times to pass the 70-413. I know i saw a recent package that gets you study material plus 4 retakes. My question is, when i passed the mcsa last year, i was under the impression that you only get 3 tries per exam to pass, and if you fail.you are locked out for 1 year. Am i wrong? did something change? any idea?

BUMP for question ;)
  • Options
    jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□

I think the total number is technically 5. From MS site:

Exam retake policy

General Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) exam retake policy

If a candidate does not achieve a passing score on an exam the first time, the candidate must wait at least 24 hours before retaking the exam.

If a candidate does not achieve a passing score the second time, the candidate must wait at least 14 days before retaking the exam a third time.

A 14-day waiting period is also imposed for the fourth and fifth subsequent exam retakes. A candidate may not take a given exam any more than five times per year (12 months). This 12-month period starts the day of the fifth unsuccessful exam retake. The candidate is then eligible to retake the exam 12 months from that date. To take a given exam more than five times per year, a candidate must submit a request and obtain prior permission from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/certification-exam-policies.aspx#security-policies
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    grats on the pass as well!
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • Options
    techwizard wrote: »
    I think the total number is technically 5. From MS site:

Exam retake policy

General Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) exam retake policy

If a candidate does not achieve a passing score on an exam the first time, the candidate must wait at least 24 hours before retaking the exam.

If a candidate does not achieve a passing score the second time, the candidate must wait at least 14 days before retaking the exam a third time.

A 14-day waiting period is also imposed for the fourth and fifth subsequent exam retakes. A candidate may not take a given exam any more than five times per year (12 months). This 12-month period starts the day of the fifth unsuccessful exam retake. The candidate is then eligible to retake the exam 12 months from that date. To take a given exam more than five times per year, a candidate must submit a request and obtain prior permission from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/certification-exam-policies.aspx#security-policies

nice. thanks for that. I thought it was 3. I feel relief as i will hopefully start to prepare for 70-413. Not sure why i couldn't find that link myself. Thanks again

edit: I hope it doesn't take me 5 tries to pass....lol. but i've heard 413 is the beast of all exams. icon_sad.gif