Options

Which files are hidden/not visable by default?

huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Since I didn't get much help on my last post, let me reframe the subject.
Can anyone please list which files are hidden and which are not?
Which of these files would be visable if you just installed the OS.

1).INI
2).INF
3).BIN
4).DLL
5).COM
6).BAT
7).SYS
icon_cool.gif.DAT
9).LOG
10).EXE

Thx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    First, it is not proper forum ettique to post new threads of the same topic merely because you don't feel it had enough traffic or didn't like the answer.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12793

Sart did provide you with some decent help.
    sart wrote:
    huzzx wrote:
    Can anyone please list which files are hidden and which are not?

1).INI
    2).INF
    3).BIN
    4).DLL
    5).COM
    6).BAT

and others that I have not listed.

And some log files that end in .txt are hidden.

huzzx,
    The best way to find out -- is simply make them in a cmd.exe prompt.
    echo >C:\test\test.bin 
    echo >C:\test\test.inf
    echo >C:\test\test.com 
    echo >C:\test\test.dll
    echo >C:\test\test.bat
    echo >C:\test\test.ini 
    echo >C:\test\test.sys
    start c:\test

As far as it comes to the log files that are in .txt - these ones are given the +[H]idden or +ystem attribute.

Some files are given the "S" System attribute including some folders. C:\Windows\ is an example of this. This is why you don't see them.

C:\WINDOWS>attrib winnt.bmp
       SH      C:\WINDOWS\winnt.bmp

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir /a:s
     Volume in drive C has no label.
     Volume Serial Number is 84F3-0FF2

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

02/18/2006  12:30 PM    <DIR>          dllcache
    01/20/2005  01:39 AM    <DIR>          Microsoft
                   0 File(s)              0 bytes
                   2 Dir(s)  10,003,718,144 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir /a:h
     Volume in drive C has no label.
     Volume Serial Number is 84F3-0FF2

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

12/13/2005  05:31 AM            23,150 ATMenuxx.GID
    01/20/2005  01:34 AM               749 cdplayer.exe.manifest
    02/18/2006  12:30 PM    <DIR>          dllcache
    01/20/2005  01:34 AM               488 logonui.exe.manifest
    01/20/2005  01:34 AM               749 ncpa.cpl.manifest
    01/20/2005  01:34 AM               749 nwc.cpl.manifest
    01/20/2005  01:34 AM               749 sapi.cpl.manifest
    01/20/2005  01:34 AM               488 WindowsLogon.manifest
    01/20/2005  01:34 AM               749 wuaucpl.cpl.manifest
                   8 File(s)         27,871 bytes
                   1 Dir(s)  10,003,718,144 bytes free

These are folders that won't show up in explorer on Windows XP Home.

This is something you need to run and check. Running little discovery 'labs' like this will really help you understand what is going on. There's no better way to learn than by doing.

bonus! -- What kind of hidden folders are the Temporary internet files? What files in them are hidden from you? What about the C:\System Volume Information folder? Why can't you get to this? Investigate, Investigate, Investigate!

The best way for you to know is to install the OS and look for yourself.

If you do not know how to do this, then maybe that is what you need to say?

If I had the keys to merge this thread into the other I would, but I do not. icon_confused.gif

You're previous post recevied 118 view, which is a fair bit of traffic.

I don't think it's that no one wants to tell you, I think you will find it is more about people helping you to learn how to find the answer. Make sense?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I was about to post something similar yesterday. Sart took the time to help you and you don't seem to be very appreciative. That alone is probably not encouraging others to try and help, voluntarily.

Also, and don't get me wrong, just something to think about: what good is knowing which files are hidden if you are not able to find it out yourself on an actual computer?
    Plantwiz wrote:
    I don't think it's that no one wants to tell you, I think you will find it is more about people helping you to learn how to find the answer. Make sense?
    Makes a lot of sense to me ;)

Thread merging... yep, missing that option too once in a while. Should be included in our next major forum update somewhere this summer.
  • Options
    huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im looking at my Windows folder and I can't find out which files are hidden or not, there are too many. There are some log files that are hidden, some are not, same with .sys and some others. I checked one source telling that .sys files are hidden, but there was this practice question I came upon that told me that it is visable. I posted more questions asking for help but noone replied. I thought my question wasn't stated correctly.

I don't have the luxury of another PC to install older OS. Even if I did, it would be extremely time consuming finding out each individual file type if they're hidden. Plus some files of the same extension are hidden, and some are not.
    If you read what I wrote in the other tread, I tried his method of creating the files in command promt, but they were all visable. Probably because these are files that I CREATED, and not by the OS thus not associated with any functions and have NO USE.