Options

ICND1 Round 2

2»

Comments

• Options
    bender_fender100bender_fender100 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    james43026 wrote: »
    Looks like the three areas you really need to concentrate on are, LAN switching, IP routing, and troubleshooting, those three combined are 60% of the test as far as points are concerned, device security is another 10%, you could study more on that too. IP addressing and network operations are only 10% combined, so I wouldn't sweat those.
    Alright. That makes sense. I was always confused on how exactly these exams are weighted. I did my own calculations and figured that I had missed the equivalent of 13 questions on the actual exam and I need to miss less than 9 or 10 to pass, but I have known that the simulation labs on the exam are weighted more than other questions are. I've seen a lot of talk about subnetting and still wanted to improve in that area anyway, though the more I do it, the more straightforward most of that becomes so I'll focus a bit less on it, but still keep the skill up when I'm not studying for the other topics. I was really bad at network security the first time at a 38%, that score went up, but not in the way that I had hoped it would.

I already know which CBT Nuggets videos I will rewatch. There are about 8 of them that directly relate to topics I keep having trouble on and I'm going to get some index cards tomorrow and make some flash cards out of those. I'll see what happens and retake some Boson exams afterwards.

Out of all the topics related to those three you mentioned, I need to study collision and broadcast domains, the CAM table, the forwarding/filtering process on a switch, VLANs some more, static and dynamic routing, some interVLAN routing, NAT terminology, and some more security overall. Those are some of the topics from the top of my head that I know that I still need work on. I feel more comfortable with my OSPF knowledge and knowing where to troubleshoot if I were to get a lab sim on it. Basically where I went wrong is that I was studying for everything and not putting enough emphasis on those three specific areas like I thought.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    I've started to go through Jeremy's videos on switches again. I forgot how well he could explain these topics, but I'm concerned that maybe I'm taking too many notes. From the first video I alone, I filled up 6 pages in there, including drawings. I just tend to feel more comfortable taking notes whenever I watch any of these videos, but I don't want to go overboard and do too much. I'm trying to also break up how many videos I rewatch into 2-3 per day instead of trying to do as many as possible in a day so the information sinks in better.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Another quick update.

I retook the first Boson exam and scored my highest score yet on it. 776/1000 without having to retake any questions. My highest score on one of the was a 625. I think CBT Nuggets is already helping to make things clearer along with writing down what I think the answer to a question is before even looking at any of the choices, but I still need to go finish going through all the switching videos, their videos on NAT, DHCP and static routing, and the security videos and then take the other ones just to be sure before I decide to retake the other two and I feel like after that, going through the one where Jeremy talks about the mac address table just one more time. I'm going through configuration, passwords and port security today as I watched a few CBT Nuggets videos yesterday night.

I also continue to get faster and faster at subnetting from memory too just by doing 5-10 minutes of exercises on some subnetting websites.

• Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you are on the right lines mate, keep up the good work and good luck for the exam! Can't offer much in the way of advice as I've been too lazy and skint to book my ICND1 but sure you will smash it this time!
  • Options
    Sounds like you are on the right lines mate, keep up the good work and good luck for the exam! Can't offer much in the way of advice as I've been too lazy and skint to book my ICND1 but sure you will smash it this time!
    Thank you. I can't wait until I get home today so I can try out another approach to watching the videos that I hadn't done that much before to see if that will help on any of the more challenging concepts. I'll watch the video once without taking any notes, then go back and watch it again and then take notes rather than doing both in one take. It's a lot of experimenting to see what sticks and what doesn't, but by doing all of this now, I can use what I learned and apply that to other certs that I want to get in the future.