Options

Tera Term for MAC?…and drivers for usb to COM port

mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got a mac os/x for jokes---it's a learning experience. But what is the tera term alternative and also, I have a couple of cable diablo usb to db9 cables. Diablo doesn't have drivers for mac, so anybody have a solution?

Thaniks
Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University

Comments

• Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're willing to learn the Ctrl commands, use screen through the terminal. You'll have to look up the specific commands, and you'll need to know the /dev entry for the device.

I use minicom on my linux boxes. I like having xmodem.

As for cables, I like these:

Amazon.com: Asunflower® 6 Ft FTDI USB to RJ45 for Cisco Console Cable Windows 8, 7, Vista MAC Linux RS232: Computers & Accessories

Got cables like that in both six and twelve foot variants. I have a lot of telco cabinets mounted up near the ceiling, the 12' cable is my go-to.

If your switches or routers have Mini-USB-B sockets, you can use an USB-A to Mini-USB-B cable. Windows needs a driver but it just works in Linux and on MacOSX, though you do have to figure out the /dev entries. It's /dev/ACM0 on Linux (and goes 1, 2, 3, etc for multiple at the same time) but I'm not sure how it shows up on MacOSX.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I just use shell with screen for the terminal. For the USB to serial, I use Keyspan.

Install the driver, plug in the Keyspan (and whatever serial connection), open up Terminal

and
    screen /dev/tty.KeySerial1

You can specify speed, parity etc as options if you have special settings.

There's a generic write up here.

Second post here specifically about connecting to Cisco gear.

If you know the chipset of your gear, you might be able to find a compatible driver from another manufacturer.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you don't mind spending some money, SecureCRT has a mac version. It's what I used when I had a Mac. It is also licensed per user, so you can install it on a Mac and Windows machine at the same time.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using Serial right now and I think its great! You can download it from the app store, a bit pricey at 29.99 but its been so easy to use.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use iTerm on my MAC and just "screen" to the USB device in /dev. I'm also using a USB-to-Serial adapter with the FTDI chipset. I had problems with other non-FTDI adapters not being recognized by various laptops, but this one is just plug and play, nothing to install.

If you open a terminal and type ls /dev/tty* this will show you a list of connected devices. Just pick the one listed as usbserial-A....... (that's what mine shows at least). Then type screen /dev/tty.usbserial-...... and you will be connected. Afterwards, I usually type ps to list the PIDs and then type kill <PID> of the one for the screen connection.

Hope that helps.