Options

CCNP:R&S first?

TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
I already have a CCNA:R&S and CCNA:Security...my question is should I go for CCNP:R&S before CCNP:Security or should I go straight for CCNP:Security?

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do what interests you most. Always good to go for R&S first as it is the core of everything else, but there is nothing stopping you doing Security first.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The question is more from a standpoint of assumed knowledge, rather than preference.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ultimately, I would go with what you desire the most. It is recommended to go through the R&S path first because it builds a solid base to move forward from. It is however, not required. If you work with Cisco security every day, then it would make sense to step over the R&S. However, if you don't work in a production environment - R&S will help. I do not think the security exam would expect you have to full R&S knowledge, but I would imagine it expects you have a solid understanding of the network theories that the security is based off of
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    -TechGuru, Which one you start first really depends on a few factors. If for example you are already working on the security team at some place and work mainly with security components then going straight to CCNP Security will make more sense as you can instantly apply that knowledge to your every day work.

But if that is not the case then from a knowledge stand point it is always recommended going for the CCNP RS before venturing off to another track. There is a reason why CCNP RS is considered core knowledge because everything passes through the core; ex: Voice, Security, Wireless, DC. Having a deeper understanding on how traffic work can help you when setting up policies from a security standpoint.

CCNA RS just touches the surface on stuff thats really in production. From what I see from job postings to be considered at least a Jr. Network Engineer you have to know at least CCNP RS networking knowledge. You can go straight to CCNP Sec but you may be missing or overlooking core fundamentals and best practices that can assist you with security design and scalability.