VMware Workstation - To buy or not to buy?

chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
I'm considering to purchase VMware Workstation for my personal use but I'm surprise that it's subscription based?! Or did I go to the wrong page? icon_sad.gif

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you first need to ask yourself what features you need in VMware Workstation that aren't present in VMware Player or Virtualbox.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Actually I'm considering to subscribe to Cisco VIRL but it needs VMware Workstation in order to work properly.
  • elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Where did you read that VMware Workstation is subscription-based? Once you purchase the license key, you unlock the product (the version you bought) for unlimited usage. It's true that you can buy a subscription (Support and Subscription) for support, though, which also acts as a form of software assurance that may make you eligible for a free upgrade to the next major release of the software.

As to the question: If you can spare the money, for sure. It's a great all-round product. I use it often for small-scale home labbing.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Player is free for personal use. Workstation has features which you may or may not find useful.
    There is a comparison table at VMware Player Pro: Compare to VMware Workstation 11 | United States

Believe you can download a 30 day Workstation trial from vmware.com.
    When you install Workstation, Player is also installed.
    Why not give it a try first? And if you do decide to buy, wait till Black Friday to see if they have any discounts. They had it for Workstation in 2013
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Thanks, elTorito & Mike7!