Options

Should I accept/reject the job offer

kbpatilkbpatil Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been offered a job position in the Bay Area - Santa Clara as an Information Security analyst. I have about 4 years of INformation Security experience. I have GCIA degree and giving GCIH in upcoming months. I have been offered the following package(Its temporary for now):

1. 95000 base salary
2. 9-10% bonus every year
3. 850 RSY (Restricted stock options) for 4 years (Current stock price is around $85).

I am a little skeptical if I would be able to save as I am right now in texas as the bay area is pretty costly. Also I am not sure if the RSU should be that important or should I focus on increasing the base salary and reducing the RSU's.

ANy suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How does it compare to your salary now? Also, does this bring more opportunities for you and your career? 95k is nice but depending on what area of Texas you are in, housing is doubled in that area.

I really want to go back to California because I grew up around there but if I didn't, it'd take A LOT to get me to move to that area due to the cost.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Tough to say without knowing more details. No way I'd move to the Bay Area for that kind of money, but maybe I'm at a much further place in my career than you. You are the only one that knows your lifestyle and what you can survive off. Are you single? Big car payments? Kids? Like to go out a lot? Buy expensive toys?

You can certainly live off 95k in the area though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I live a normal life with no big expenses. Would love to live single. But the question is more whether my experience justifies the salary offer? Cause the base salary is lower than what entry level make in that area as far as I have researched. I also have a Master degree if that helps.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kbpatil wrote: »
    I live a normal life with no big expenses. Would love to live single. But the question is more whether my experience justifies the salary offer? Cause the base salary is lower than what entry level make in that area as far as I have researched. I also have a Master degree if that helps.
    The way I see it, if you're not currently in Bay Area, but want to move there, take the job. If, when you get there, you feel your experience justifies a higher salary, you can look for one more in line with your market value in 6-12 months. It's always easier to find a job when you have one, and it's also much easier to find one locally.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    While I don't know anything about areas in the US, but to me you are in a position of power, here are your options the way I see it:

1) Negotiate, ask for more money.

2) Reject the offer. Look for more jobs in the Bay area if that's what you want. You have excellent experience and qualifications, unless you absolutely have to move to the Bay area NOW (see point 3)

3) If you absolutely have to move to the Bay Area now, then take it.

4) If the position offers you valuable experience, then a tiny pay cut is no big deal but you don't have to given your qualifications and experience.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Now I know you don't need to live in Santa Clara, but here's rental prices: Rental Listings in Santa Clara CA - 95 Rentals | Zillow

$1800/mo for a 550 sqft apartment.
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Now I know you don't need to live in Santa Clara, but here's rental prices: Rental Listings in Santa Clara CA - 95 Rentals | Zillow

Damn that is expensive, 550 sq ft 1800
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Wow..I'd stay in Texas.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is the best way to figure out the pay. Take whatever would the be the appropriate salary for someone with your qualifications and then multiply that by 1.75 the result will be the salary in Silicon Valley to maintain the same life style. So if your market rate is 95k in Texas than you would have to make 166k to maintain the same level. In your case 95k in Silicon Valley would be a pay cut. A lot of companies in the east and west coast pry on people by giving them salaries which are way above what they make now but these people don't bother to check the cost of living, so yea they end up with higher salary but are living in cardboard box and eating ramen.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Or if you don't mind long commutes, you can live in Modesto/Manteca/Stockton and buy a house cheap. But you're looking at a long drive or a decent drive then hop on BART.
  • Options
    I will surely be negotiating for more money and ready to reject it if not met. The market is really good for Cyber security at the moment and would be attempting by GCIH in coming months. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□

Huh, these listings actually seem pretty reasonable for what I'd expect.

70% of cost of living is rent, commute and restaurants. Things like groceries or utilities cost similar enough whether you're in SF, or Wyoming.