Options

Online Proctored Exam

I have my 2nd shot @ the 410 and was thinking of doing a online proctored exam! what do u techies think of taking the exam online? tips, advise.. thx

Comments

• Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure your Internet connection is really strong. One poster said he was disconnected during the exam and it basically made him fail. I believe you have to have a web camera so the proctor knows you aren't cheating etc.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    thatguy67 wrote: »
    Make sure your Internet connection is really strong. One poster said he was disconnected during the exam and it basically made him fail. I believe you have to have a web camera so the proctor knows you aren't cheating etc.

Will an Ipad work?
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No they can't support Ipad yet. I believe before you sign up they have you test your system out to make sure it's up to par.

Other thing make sure internet speed is good. One other thing make sure you have enough time because they suck at appointments. My appointment was at 9am but didn't start close to 10am. They were having issue with connection on there side plus they have to scan your room to make sure no one is around or any material is on your desk.

For me i rather go to a location.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    I dont have a camera on my laptop.. i was considering it because i really didn't like the testing site near me.. there are a few but most didnt have the test on the weekend!
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well if you could find a webcam then i suggest going that route.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    i would really like to try it. save some gas $$
  • Options
    seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've done three of my MS exams through the online proctor thing and love it. Definitely helps not having to go in to testing center and you can study/review almost right up until the start time which helps.
    LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
    In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
    Up Next - MCSE: Communication
    2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1
  • Options
    how do they watch u
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    ed_003 wrote: »
    how do they watch u

With the webcam pointed at your face, and also can see your desktop. As mentioned you need to show them the room you are in with the camera, just in case you have a big wall poster up with all the info on it.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    so do like a 360 view of the place?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    ed_003 wrote: »
    so do like a 360 view of the place?

Yes, at the beginning of the exam, you give them a 360 of the room, but while you are doing the exam the camera is fixed. This is the reason I couldn't do it - I don't have a room that is sufficiently empty of stuff, well, except maybe the bathroom :)

I think there was someone doing proctored exams where they actually sent you a special camera to use. I think that did front and rear views.

I imagine they pay some chump in a "developing economy" to stare at these cameras. Sounds like a hell of a job.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    I just found a testing center 2 miles down the road where i live.. the online test seems to add more pressure during the test