Options

Still no job after getting CCENT. Soon to get CCNA in december.

PheonyxPheonyx Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I've been having a really hard time getting a job after passing my CCENT in August of 2015. I know that's only entry level but I thought I would at least be able to snag a Jr. network admin position. The only thing I ever get offered are basic IT support jobs and I've been doing that since 2010-2012 roughly. I also have an AA degree in computer info. systems.

I plan on getting my CCNA next month, or January at the latest, but now I find myself questioning if it would even change anything. I'm really passionate about network engineering so I'm most likely still going to push forward and get the CCNA but I'm just having a hard time and was hoping someone could shed some light on my situation.

To make matters worse, all employers seem so strict and up-tight about every little aspect of my personal life and background. I'm not a felon at all. The worse thing I did was smoke weed in high school (possession ticket) and 1 petty theft when I was 18 (I'm now 28 but it's still on my record which is total bull-*******-**** if you ask me). How is someone supposed to live a happy life if they can't get a job that pays them enough to live a clean and easy-going life? I've done everything the system has asked of me and still I get stiffed. I'm so frustrated....sorry for venting, I just hope someone here is nice enough to tell me what I'm missing maybe....thanks

Comments

• Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Well, look on the bright side - You're now studying towards a well respected certification which will benefit you massively.

I am 19, I am studying for my CCNP. When I had my CCENT I couldn't find a job either, I think the CCNA is the crucial bit to get if i'm honest. I actually landed my job a day before my CCNA exam which was a mental few days but all good fun. Keep cracking on.

Unfortunately it's the way of the industry, you maybe dealing with senstive data therefore security checks have to be in place in a lot of companies.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The arrest at 18, was that a misdemeanor or a felony? Any way to get it expunged after 10 years?

Outside of that, do you have any networking type things on your resume outside of the CCENT? Maybe stuff you've handled at helpdesk? Maybe a way to tweak that?
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    The arrest at 18, was that a misdemeanor or a felony? Any way to get it expunged after 10 years?

Outside of that, do you have any networking type things on your resume outside of the CCENT? Maybe stuff you've handled at helpdesk? Maybe a way to tweak that?

he wasn't a minor at the time...there's no way that's getting expunged...

this isn't like your driving history where your points & suspensions go off your record after 5 years...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If youre not getting job offers its likely due to lack of experience.
    Think about doing internships somewhere. Even accept something unpaid.
    The experience is more valuable than the certification.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get any job in IT doesn't matter if it is networking, then with little more experience you will be able to move on to the position you want.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What can I do About a Misdemeanor Record? (with pictures)

CCENT isn't as well known as CCNA. Get your CCNA and keep trying. Build up a network of peers, go to local meetings, join a CUG, or start one.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    he wasn't a minor at the time...there's no way that's getting expunged...

this isn't like your driving history where your points & suspensions go off your record after 5 years...

Really? Because I read about people doing it pretty frequently with non-violent crimes and a good lawyer. I'd say looking into anything is worth a shot vs just accepting that you'll never pass a background screen for the rest of your life.
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Really? Because I read about people doing it pretty frequently with non-violent crimes and a good lawyer. I'd say looking into anything is worth a shot vs just accepting that you'll never pass a background screen for the rest of your life.

It's not really getting rejected for a lifetime. It's about being upfront about it. You don't have be branded as criminal scum always. Show that it is not a repeating habit and personal growth and you can overcome quite a bit.

Experience in the field always helps though.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I dont think I have EVER seen a job posting asking for CCENT. Once you get that CCNA your prospects will increase. LOTS of jobs ask for CCNA - even non-networking jobs sometimes!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you wouldn't want the salary of a job who's requirement is "CCENT".

CCENT holds no weight, CCNA hardly holds any weight, its always experience.
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No get discourage. I have CCNA, Security+, A+, and still haven't gotten my foot in the network or security door. I also have close to 4 years experience in desktop. Keep studying. Get your bachelor...and don't stop until you got to your goal.
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    You can definately get a job with just a CCNA, infact I got my new job as a network engineer a day before I passed my CCNA, so I guess I got it as a CCENT. Stick at it, you'll get there for sure.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's kind of a raw deal, the certs. I've gone through some old CCNA materials from a decade+ ago and honestly CCENT now is basically what CCNA was back then. It's not valued because employers don't understand that CCNA now is starting to approach what CCNP was back then. They still look at the labels and see them the same as they were, not what they've become.

That said, CCENT is more of a primer, to prepare a novice to possibly go for CCNA R&S, or Wireless, or some other Associate-level cert. That's part why I am simply shooting for the CCNA R&S and not bothering with the CCENT cert, it doesn't do anything for me as I already have the entry-level stuff down and have work experience.

As for your past, sorry to hear that it's holding you back, but we are all judged for our choices. I've made some choices that have effectively steered me in a direction that cannot be readily changed even if those choices don't have anything to do with running afoul of the authorities, but nonetheless, I am limited by them. That is life.
  • Options
    It may be the case in the UK. But in the USA, it is different...even here, it varies from states to states....cities to cities. I may be wrong, but a numbers of applications I tested, came back asking me my relevant experience.
    yellowpad wrote: »
    No get discourage. I have CCNA, Security+, A+, and still haven't gotten my foot in the network or security door. I also have close to 4 years experience in desktop. Keep studying. Get your bachelor...and don't stop until you got to your goal.
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    TWX wrote: »
    It's kind of a raw deal, the certs. I've gone through some old CCNA materials from a decade+ ago and honestly CCENT now is basically what CCNA was back then. It's not valued because employers don't understand that CCNA now is starting to approach what CCNP was back then.

There is so much truth to this! Expectations for each certification have drastically changed and have bumped themselves up in knowledge level, but since they stayed the same, nobody ever checked up.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    *Definitely consult an attorney in regards to your possession charge* I had a friend in a similar position and she was able to get it taken off of her record. You don't specify when you received the possession charge so that may or may not be affecting you (since if you were under 18 at the time it shouldn't be a huge issue to get it expunged). Petty theft is definitely tougher and of course an employer will be concerned when seeing it. But you should be able to articulate that both of these were decisions of an un-matured mind who has gone on to see the error of his ways and succeed (having completed a college degree and a certification). If you performed any community service, I would highlight that you had completed it to repay your debt to society.

As others have stated the CCENT hasn't gotten much in the way of support from the industry so I suspect once you have the CCNA you will hear more. Based off of your post I cannot see whether you are currently working in IT support or if you only did between 2010-2012? If it is the latter, then that gap between 2012 and today is definitely going to hurt your chances of receiving a call. Sometimes we have to suck up our pride and take any job offer in the industry to get our feet wet before getting the job we'd like.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also note that having a CCNA isn't a magic ticket to getting a job. No certification is going to that for you but they do definitely open doors.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCENT's roles are usually found in the Data Center or Co-Lo providers or Service Providers. Rackspace, Akamai, Comcast, etc.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your insight! Helpful. I just got a job as IT Support Engineer so I guess this could be a stepping stone to where I'd like to be someday. Meanwhile, I'll be taking my CCNA in January, wish me luck and thanks again everyone, means a lot.
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and keep on going! You're in a great area to grow in the industry!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    Congrats!!
    Pheonyx wrote: »
    Thank you all for your insight! Helpful. I just got a job as IT Support Engineer so I guess this could be a stepping stone to where I'd like to be someday. Meanwhile, I'll be taking my CCNA in January, wish me luck and thanks again everyone, means a lot.
  • Options
    thuathua Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good news. Keep going. Hope you will get what you want.
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job- sounds like a good role as well!
  • Options
    Thank you :) yeah its not bad, my boss is nice. Only con is sitting in traffic to and from work, but I guess most of us deal with that eh? lol
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds good dude! Traffic is the bane of most of our lives, although on the flip side you can always use it as learning time with podcasts or such like for certs :)
  • Options
    gabby4higabby4hi Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    keep reading aquire those cert one day u might get ur first job