Options

Best cities for IT related jobs

seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently employed and work from home in the mid 40k range. I'm 26 and been thinking for the last few weeks about maybe relocating to an area that is bigger and has more opportunities. The largest cities I've lived in are like Little Rock, AR and over around Fayetteville, AR so not super huge but not exactly a one stop light kind of town like I'm in now.

I figured it'd be good to move now since I have a job and dont have to worry about finding work quickly then when I'm ready start looking for something else. So curious what some of yalls opinions are on the subject. I dont have anything specifically that I'm looking for in a place to live but stuff like good economy, things to do for younger people, and places to explore would be nice.
LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
Up Next - MCSE: Communication
2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd recommend some Google searching and searching through the forums here as I know that's stuff that's been posted.

The area I live in is pretty good and not too crazy of a cost of living.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    According to Forbes the top 3 for IT openings is: Minnesota, Utah and third Nebraska. I can only speak for the twin cities where there's a ton of openings from horrible recruiters. A $45k salary could afford a smallish 2-3 BR used home in certain areas. The IT jobs are mainly in the upper scale cities however. If you don't mind the occasional hipster, heavy traffic and cold, snowy winters it's a great place for people in their 20's and 30's. Tons of unique restaurants, highest concentration of micro breweries, all four major sports teams, crashed ice, soccer, lots of lakes, beautiful summers. The IT jobs pay average or a tick above and the cost of living is below average.

I don't know much about Utah other than Mormons, but I've heard from others Salt Lake City is a nice place for young adults to live. Nebraska is small town living and I'm shocked it's on the list. I've been there a few times but never found much to do.

I'd imagine Colorado, Austin and DFW, TX, Washington and Portland are good spots for young adults in IT. Phoenix is another one if you like hot weather, there's quite a bit to do there.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a few years older than you, but I'm also looking at a change of scenery and occupation. I'm going into the IT field and will be relocating down to Houston Tx. Salaries are certainly enough to make comfortable living on and the cost of everything is cheap compared to the great north (I live in WI). There is no state income tax either so you can keep more of your money.

Techfiend listed the main states though for IT. I do know the cost of living in Colorado(Denver area) and at least Portland is really steep.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    DC metro area. ALOT of IT jobs...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Austin, Salt Lake City and Minneapolis...

Edit: Phoenix is growing as well...
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Austin's full. We're out of space. Seriously, there's a lot of good paying IT and security work in Austin and San Antonio.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    If you want to stay relatively local (the South), look to Atlanta.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    and1play5and1play5 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NYC/NJ is a great high paying area too, real competitive though
  • Options
    seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've done some research but most articles I've seen just give the business side of things and I'm wanting to gather more information from preferably locals on why their area is awesome and should be looked at.

I've actually looked at Austin or San Antonio but not a big fan of hot weather. I'm ready for colder weather and mountains instead of cold/hot/humid/super humid and hills one direction and flatlands the next lol. So I've been looking at Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, and maybe Longmont. I wouldnt mind living in Washington state either around Seattle.

My biggest fear is CoL. I like saving money so look at these places and see rent and it makes me want to rethink all this lol
    LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
    In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
    Up Next - MCSE: Communication
    2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, compared to Melbourne, AR you are going to be paying more in rent to get to any of the even decent IT cities.

As far as "best" cities it really depends on what you are looking for. Silicon Valley, NYC, DC area lots of good high paying jobs, but high CoL to go along with it. The big city vibe might not be what you're looking for either, not that there aren't suburbs to commute from in those areas.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    and1play5 wrote: »
    NYC/NJ is a great high paying area too, real competitive though

People have been leaving the northeast for years for good reason. High cost of living, taxes, insurance, etc. I would never move back there even if I was still single.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    If you want to stay closer to home, I was seriously considering the Nashville area for a while, myself. Texas was on my list as well.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    If you want to stay relatively local (the South), look to Atlanta.

Agreed, I live in Georgia and I am looking to get into the IT field/knowledge based jobs. Out of the 5 friends I normally keep in contact with as well as the job I am going for anything under $55K doesn't exist. This is for a position like Tier 2 support or something around there...so semi-entry level jobs (in my opinion). This is outside of the perimeter (285). If you live inside the perimeter, you can expect $60k + to make up for the hassle of driving. I know a lot of people who work from home 2 days out of the week though.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    techfiend wrote: »
    According to Forbes the top 3 for IT openings is: Minnesota, Utah and third Nebraska. . Nebraska is small town living and I'm shocked it's on the list. I've been there a few times but never found much to do.

I have no clue on what they are basing Nebraska on. Was someone at Forbes paid off to write that?!!?

The only thing I can think of are call center/help desk positions. That is the only IT jobs here for openings. That's it. I was born there and left in 2010. Nothing but call center/help desk jobs...Don't believe the hype.

If your serious about moving their for work, PM me, so I can talk you out of it.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Polynomial wrote: »
    +1 vote for Boston. ;)

I'm in agreement. Not only is Boston a real deal for IT jobs, but even the Greater Boston area. Others and myself have said this area is the Silicone Valley of the northeast.

Burlington/Waltham, MA have a lot of tech companies. One other plus that has shown increase in IT is Manchester/Nashua, NH

Some companies that come to mind that are close to me.

- DYN
    - Time Warner Cable
    - Acronis
    - TrendMicro
    - IBM
    - Raytheon
    - LogMeIn
    - TripAdvisor
    - WayFair
    - Bit9
    - EMC
    - Cisco
    - ThinkingPhones
    - F5
    - Brocade
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im seriously glad that nobody is bringing up Raleigh, NC. I hope it stays that way.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have a clearance, the DC NOVA area for sure!
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pick a city in an area that suits the lifestyle you want and then research companies based there. Look for jobs you're interested in there in that area. Better to arrive in your new town with a great job waiting for you than to go through the hassle of moving only to find that the job market sucks. Nowadays there is no need to physically be there to apply for a job or interview. During the entire time that I was recruited, screened, interviewed, and offered my current job here in Houston I was in South America.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Blackout

Is the market getting worse in the Triangle?
  • Options
    Mow wrote: »
    @Blackout

Is the market getting worse in the Triangle?

No I just don't want anyone finding out how good the market is here, too many people moving here now. lol

• Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Haha, awesome.
  • Options
    kenrinkenrin Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @Blackout How does it compare to the other big NC city, job wise that is? I lived out there for college and found it more pleasant than the traffic deadlock that is Charlotte 7am-7pm. I work night shift for that reason until I can move closer. Plus stuff closes too early, 9pm pfft.

To keep on topic with the thread though. Charlotte is great job-wise unless you are entry level, only a short timeframe when the heat is unbearable and lower cost of living than other huge Metros. I think too many NJ and NYC people are moving here though.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    kenrin wrote: »
    @Blackout How does it compare to the other big NC city, job wise that is? I lived out there for college and found it more pleasant than the traffic deadlock that is Charlotte 7am-7pm. I work night shift for that reason until I can move closer. Plus stuff closes too early, 9pm pfft.

To keep on topic with the thread though. Charlotte is great job-wise unless you are entry level, only a short timeframe when the heat is unbearable and lower cost of living than other huge Metros. I think too many NJ and NYC people are moving here though.

Raleigh, NC has one of the Largest IT infrastructures in the US. Cisco, Lenovo, NetApp, Citrix, SAS all have campuses here.