Options

Trying to land my first networking job

ThenyoThenyo Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been studying Cisco networking at my school for the past few semesters and have been working hands on in a lab environment configuring and implementing multiple combinations of the protocols and concepts that encompass CCNA R&S. I'll officially have my CCNA at some point in the next few months.

Back in April, I landed my first IT related position as a service desk analyst. In other words, help desk. This is my final semester of school where I'll be working under a professional doing hands-on work with real hardware. I am kind of freaking out over here because I do NOT deal with anything network related at my job right now and I am going to massively miss the work I do in class. I decided that I want to try to find my first networking gig.

What exactly are employers looking for in someone who has not had any professional experience in the field besides help desk? Are you expected to know all of these protocols inside and out? How certain protocols work on all layers? etc. Are these things that come with work experience, or should you already come into the job with this knowledge simply by studying?

I am hoping to find a junior/starter network position if one exists out there. I know so far of one person who managed to land a job working under and side by side some seasoned networking folks who are helping her learn and grow while working. I've also heard of horror stories where you're expected to know and produce as much as someone who's been professionally working in the field for 5+ years. Can anyone comment on this?

I was in panic mode and trying to rush updating/revamping my resume, creating a cover letter, etc, but I was getting no where fast. So I realized I need to slow down and focus on this step by step seeing as I'm in a comfortable spot at my current job.

Basically, I want to start my first networking gig and hopefully have it be at a place where I can work, learn, and build skills to help me continue down this path. Hopefully they'll be excited about me trying to earn more certs too...

Comments

• Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Been doing it 20yrs and I don't know most of the "textbook" stuff about networking. If it doesn't work I figure out why and make it work. Now I'm in a position where I can go back and pick up the certs so I'm planning to know the book stuff soon.
  • Options
    ThenyoThenyo Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had the random chance to talk to a network admin last night who took the time to help me with my resume and gave some advice. He basically told me that I'm expected to know every intricate detail of what encompasses the CCNA and that any and everything can be brought up in my interview. These are the same intricate things that I've been being told I won't need to really memorize for the real world. According to what I heard last night, the slightest expression of "I dont know" will get me a kick in the rear end as they throw me out of the building.

I was kind of under the impression that this is what would come with that first job. Sharpening of your skills, learning how and why things are applied in the real world. Its looking like I'm expected to go INTO my first job with this knowledge and skill regardless of professional experience. A little nerve racking to say the least. As someone who is a fast learner but is a **** studier, I must say that I'm quite nervous. Im not sure how to study every detail of what I've learned so far with being able to retain and recall the information successfully. So much information with very little structure on how to go about it.