Options

Netware, AppleTalk, etc

ccnpbgpccnpbgp Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ive been self studying for my net+ and I feel an overall confidence in everything except when it comes to Netware, Appletalk, etc. How much of the test is really about these topics. It seems everytime i read them, I have trouble visualizing actually applying them so it tends to be "blah blah blah blah".. I have the Exam Cram book, and i just shot right through it until i got to this chapter and I keep getting frustrated and putting down the book like how am I going to do this? sorry for venting.

Comments

• Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Don't sweat it... I had a 30 page study guide that I used.

You may get 1 question on it at worst.. I'd spend yer time learn the OSI model backwards and forwards and at what level frames, packets, bits are transfered at. What level routers, bridges, switches are...
    Better points spent there.

If you want the study guide (youll need to make an osi model, I have an old version of my notes) send me a pm and Ill email it.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am pretty much the same way. I have been studying a lot for a while now; I am taking the test this Weds. I know OSI great, ports, media standards, I am good with troubleshooting scenarios and am comfortable and confident with pretty much every topic on the objectives list with the exception of a few and apple talk is one of those few. I just can’t seem to grasp it, I know the basics and hopefully that’s enough but I can’t see the test having many questions on it so I am not spending my last few days focusing too heavy on it. I mean honestly do any networks in the real world still use AT?
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    For this exam you don't have to focus too much time or energy on these subjects....
    Read them and understand the basics but don't worry too much about them for this exam.

Troubleshooting and OSI are probably the biggest things to know.
  • Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    Matt_Smi wrote:
    I mean honestly do any networks in the real world still use AT?
    Most colleges and universities still support AppleTalk, particularly if they have art students, and yes, I suggest you do know these well because I encountered more than expected on the exam.

I had questions dealing with AppleTalk, AppleShare IP, Netware, NWlink, CSNW, GSNW, UNIX platform questions and even security protocol questions on these platforms. I didn't expect to encounter it either...food for thought.
  • Options
    Gennosuke HIGAKIGennosuke HIGAKI Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As fellows pointed out, the test is focused on TCP/IP. After version 4, Novell abandoned their naitve protocol, IPX/SPX, and devoted herself to Unix style, that is, TCP/IP. I remember least in real test on Novell, however, if you want to check the original Novell scheme, below will help I think.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/netwarep.htm

In short, TCP/IP is reserved and responsive only when asked, whereas IPX/SPX is attentive by sending SAP to all nodes regularly.

I hardly know of Apple Talk. I experienced "netatalk" in Linux, Apple to TCP/IP and to Windoz via Samba, netBIOS over TCP/IP though, don't know details on Apple. I remember two to three questions on Apple networking or network printing. I gave up sour Apple but passed over 80% hit.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Let me put it to you like this (I don't want to discourage you from studying these things).

Lets say you are already signed up for the test and it is tomorrow or even the day after... You have some what limited time to study... I would say your time and energy would be better spent knowing the OSI Model and Troubleshooting...

However, if you already feel comfident in many of the other objectives then spend the time to know AT, Netware ect.... Then just refresh yourself on the other material the morning of the test.
  • Options
    Gennosuke HIGAKIGennosuke HIGAKI Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am very sorry. Novell version 4 has an option for either IPX/SPX or TCP/IP at installation. Anyway, follow basics and believe in yourself If lost, what you lose? Comptia won't tolls your life.

I look forward to your calmness.