Options

Cisco IOS File System

eng_ahmedaseng_ahmedas Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can anyone tell me please, what is the difference between "Cisco IOS File System" and "Cisco IOS". I am so confused and can't get the difference
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    uh this is going to be a smack hand on forehead time. Re-word the question as what is the difference between DOS and its file system (FAT) or Windows and FAT32 or Windows and NTFS. The cisco IOS is after all an Operating System and looks at memory like a disk drive or pen drive. IOS therefore needs a file system. The file system known as IFS is now platform independent. You can read about it here.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/fun_c/fcprt2/fcifs.htm
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    chinamanchinaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 167
    It's like your using Windows XP but your file system either NTFS or FAT32.
  • Options
    eng_ahmedaseng_ahmedas Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks All .......U help me too much to understand IFS
    Thanks Again
  • Options
    dublin_101dublin_101 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone tell me please, what is the difference between "Cisco IOS File System" and "Cisco IOS". I am so confused and can't get the difference
    Thanks in advance

ahmed........the example above were perfect..........

the IOS is the software........

and the IFS (file system) is the file system....similar to the way windows looks at your hard drive as c:\ or linux looks at its hard drive as /

the cisco ifs uses the url convention....so it is like a website where you specify the location, directory and file name........