Options

Casp roi?

SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
Wondering if there has been an ROI for any of you CASP'ers out there. Especially for those of you who do or do not have your CISSP.
OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Return on investment? No, I took it primarily to renew my Sec+ My job does not require it, but who knows what will happen down the road.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the CASP may get your foot in the door if you do not have your CISSP.

The CASP is looked at as under the CISSP so you may not get the ROI. just more CPE's for that year.
    You then have AMF's for both certs.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CASP is a level 3 cert where I work (DoD contracting), so for hiring purposes, it is enough to qualify someone for a Senior title and its associated pay band.

However, most of our level 3 cert holders have CISSP (some with the CASP as well).
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I agree with aftereffector, if your looking at government roles however, if you are looking at private sector roles then then the ROI may not be there yet.

I personally think it was one of the best tests I have taken and certainly bridges a gap between security+ and CISSP that no others do... I also believe taking the CASP will be a good cert to take before you tackle the CISSP (assuming that is the route you wish to pursue).
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Where I am, I have never seen a job asking for CASP. From what I hear, the only real benefit is for DoD work (which is irrelevant to me, since I am half way around the world). But I am pursuing CASP as a warm up to (eventually) taking CISSP.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I haven't taken the test yet. But i think the general material is pretty good. Unless you were looking for DoD, then ROI is probably low based on cert name alone. But I do think the material itself is pretty good.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I haven't taken the test yet. But i think the general material is pretty good. Unless you were looking for DoD, then ROI is probably low based on cert name alone. But I do think the material itself is pretty good.

Yeah, having the knowledge, regardless of the certification is good. Getting the certification can give that extra confidence boost. So when you are in a job interview, you can talk confidently about say, Risk Management, or cryptography, or network security design.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The material is good; this is one exam with simulation questions to test your system and network security knowledge.

CASP is a "technical" version of CISSP which some felt is not technical enough.
    A CASP can put on infosec manager hat to pass CISSP exam, while a CISSP may just fail CASP exam.

We need CompTIA to do more CASP marketing...
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike7 wrote: »
    The material is good; this is one exam with simulation questions to test your system and network security knowledge.

CASP is a "technical" version of CISSP which some felt is not technical enough.
    A CASP can put on infosec manager hat to pass CISSP exam, while a CISSP may just fail CASP exam.

We need CompTIA to do more CASP marketing...

Comptia could easily increase it's value of the CASP by offering online training post SY0-401 exam takers. Part of the problem is lack of content available for the exam. Not just marketing.

Vouchers as well for post SY0-401. Most people who take SSCP, have a direct path to CISSP. This is an understood vertical path. The same is understood with Cisco. CCENT has multi-path option.

If Comptia could provide something similar as in N10-006>SY0-401>CAS-002.

SK0-004 will eventually be the last or be folded over into N10-007 or a more actionable cert similar to that of the CAS.
  • Options
    SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    I hope this isn't too far off topic but how difficult is CASP? The non-technical aspect of CISSP and some of the higher certs are what detract from my interest in them.
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Segovia wrote: »
    I hope this isn't too far off topic but how difficult is CASP? The non-technical aspect of CISSP and some of the higher certs are what detract from my interest in them.

The CASP was pretty difficult for me, I thought I was going to fail because there were some things on there that were not in my CASP book. Some say it is like the Security+ on steroids because of the long drawn out scenario questions. The SIMs were no joke either. What did help me through the test was knowing the terminology of what the CASP asks for, taking the Sec+, and various classes in my Cyber Security degree program. It was certainly a challenge that I am proud of conquering.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a problem with a simulation question. It was flawed. The material is good enough to pass. Perform the labs and you should be OK.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Segovia wrote: »
    The non-technical aspect of CISSP and some of the higher certs are what detract from my interest in them.

Quite technical when compared to CISSP. There is some policy and compliance components but the bulk of it is just technical details.

You can download the exam outline and sample questions from https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/comptia-advanced-security-practitioner#examdetails
    Look through the acronyms in the exam outline, I had to look up some of them despite having just passed CISSP at that time.
  • Options
    SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    Thanks for filling me in on that info guys. I think this will be a cert that I will aim for after graduation. Sounds like a good first advanced cert!
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • Options
    leeltleelt Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□