Options

Failed 640-554

rchaserchase Member Posts: 126
Read OCG cover to cover and labbed in GNS3 for IOS router stuff + on a real ASA5505 and Layer2 labs on 3750 switchFailed by 21 points on the last day to take this exam.

I was very surprised how out of scope the exam was, several questions with topics not even mentioned in OCG book.

But what I think really got me was a glitch in one of the labs.

Without breaking NDA, anyone who took the exam should know what I am hinting at here:

After applying my config in CCP on a certain lab, a Pop Up is triggered asking something with Yes/No as choices.

The answer that you are supposed to select is obvious - its in the question. However, instead of selecting Yes or No, I hit X because I wanted to double check something first.

So after I went back and double checked something, I put in my commands again and hit apply, but this time NO NAT Yes/No POP UP!

I sent a complaint to cisco through this site that I found here: https://ciscocert.secure.force.com

Not sure if that is the right place, but hopefully I get a response.I really think this glitch caused me to fail.And I explained to them that I'm not just being a sore loser about this exam. I have taken over 12 Cisco exams before, and failed several including failing my first 2 CCNA exams, and failing 3 CCIE Voice Labs @ $1,500/ea + hotel and airfare, never once complained about the unfairness or glitch of an exam before.

So I'm not just bitching about it. This exam really sucks.So what to do now? Considering waiting a year before I touch it again because it sounds like the materials for the new exam are just as bad. Should I get the new OCG or whatRecommendations for study material for new exam?Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Did you read the objectives and make sure you covered them all? The OCG are not one stop shops unfortunately. Especially if you plan on thoroughly learning the material not just enough to pass an exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Yeah I know what you mean. I'm no newb in the Cisco cert world. I feel pretty solid on all areas of the blueprint. I was surprised that I failed and I think the weird glitch I ran into is to blame honestly ...

I'm on the fence as to whether I should get the new OCG for the new exam or wait for better materials.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    rchase wrote: »
    So I'm not just bitching about it. This exam really sucks.So what to do now? Considering waiting a year before I touch it again because it sounds like the materials for the new exam are just as bad. Should I get the new OCG or whatRecommendations for study material for new exam?Thanks

I think the relatively high pass mark contributes to the problems, since it leaves less margin of error.

I've sat the exam, Pearson says I've passed, but still waiting on Cisco cert tracker to show the pass. Only just passed, too. For me the strange thing I saw was one area where I scored poorly, I went back and checked the answers to the questions I could remember that might have something to do with that area, and they were all right apart from one which was a little ambiguous.

There were at least a couple of questions that weren't in my study materials, and I only knew answers by chance since I had read up on some random stuff browsing the Cisco site for documentation about something almost completely unrelated. Kind of "Oh, that looks interesting, I wonder what that is about". Sometimes distractible curiosity pays off :)

So, I'm not 100% confident in the exam either.

I think it is a smart move to wait a bit before taking the new exam. But you have more experience of these things than I do.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    WozzzaaaWozzzaaa Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I made the same mistake as rchase - rely too much on the study guide. I DO know the question you are referring to.

I plan on doing the new exam in about 6 months - I am sure there will a overlap and its a shame to waste all the knowledge and effort.
  • Options
    following up on this -- I received an exam voucher from Cisco for the simulation glitch.

I can retake CCNA Security anytime in the next 12months. I planned on waiting the full amount of time to take the exam to wait for better material to come out, but my CCNA expires in April so instead I am going to need to pass this exam before then.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    following up on this -- I received an exam voucher from Cisco for the simulation glitch.

I can retake CCNA Security anytime in the next 12months. I planned on waiting the full amount of time to take the exam to wait for better material to come out, but my CCNA expires in April so instead I am going to need to pass this exam before then.

I'm glad to hear that you were reimbursed! I plan on taking the 210-260 in a few months and I was worried about the reports of bugs.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□

or, consider taking the icnd2 to renew your current cert.