Options

Best OS

ricky31415ricky31415 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
This has been an ongoing debate with some friends of mine. What do you guys think?
What is the best operating system for personal desktops: OS X, Windows XP, or Linux?

Comments

• Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    LOL @ Solaris...

I don't think the question is that simple. The are many factors that will determine the best Operating System for you. I don't feel there is a "hands down number one" best Operating System. It depends on the person and situation... How much they know. What experience they have. What they are going to be using the system for. What hardware they already have. What are they willing to buy. So fourth and so on...

If you want gaming, Windows is still the best Operating System. As for MAC and Linux/Unix/BSD, they all have their pro's and con's (as with Windows). It really just depends on what I mentioned above.

- Joey
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    i prefer win xp.
    witty comment
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I use XP.....eventually will have a *nix box, maybe Solaris to reeducate myself on Unix, but now, Windows.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    I'd say Linux Redhat even though i don't use it much. I am a slave of MS due to its "USER FRIENDLINESS". Even kids can find there way through windows. Redhat's reputations are strongly based on security, stability, tuneability and other factors which appeal more to highly skilled and experienced professionals. The ordinary user wouldn't even know where to find Linux games icon_evil.gif .

I've heard Vista offers better security with its dynamic encryption. It seems to have ruffled a few feather with "Big Brother" owing to the hurdles they'll have to go thru to find out what skeletons we have in our hard disks so i assume its true. They were even requesting for a backdoor from MS. Can't they pay hackers to write trojans icon_wink.gif. Atleast it would create employment.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to your financial ability icon_lol.gif , needs, skill level and other factors. No luv lost for XP sp2 tho.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Alien wrote:
    I'd say Linux Redhat even though i don't use it much. I am a slave of MS due to its "USER FRIENDLINESS". Even kids can find there way through windows. .

Linux also, did you not see the movie jurasic park :D
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    (As crazy as this sounds) I prefer to use Win XP. I like how Windows has "More than one way" to do or find something. Easier to copy, cut , paste, etc. More software is available for it as well. The registry comes in handy to "tweek" the system.
    The Mac doesn't seem to be as vulnerable to malware. It's also very stable.
    I like Linux for it's open source software standard. I don't know enough about Linux at this time to make an accurate call, so right now, I'm going with Windows XP.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    ricky31415 wrote:
    What is the best operating system for personal desktops: OS X, Windows XP, or Linux?
    It depends on what you are doing with your desktop computer. For most routine, mundane desktop computer functions "the best" is determined by the installed software packages and not the operating system.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    jdmurray wrote:
    ricky31415 wrote:
    It depends on what you are doing with your desktop computer. For most routine, mundane desktop computer functions "the best" is determined by the installed software packages and not the operating system.
    I agree, and also want to add 'the user'. Linux, or OS X can be a much 'better' OS for desktops for some users, but if those users run Windows at home, the CEO runs Windows at home, and the IT crew has primarily MS skills, then at work Windows is in a way the 'better' OS.

Even though these OSs are similar and provide similar functionality, it's imo not really like asking "which is better, BMW or Mercedes?", but more like "which is better, a boat or a car?" icon_cyclops.gif
  • Options
    Pretty much, I don't believe that there is a best operating system. That is why I use multiple ones. I would say I am more inclined to say XP though only because I am most familiar with it and use it the most, but that by no means makes it better and any other OS out there. I also must say that I love Linux-based OSes just because you don't need licenses, so I can freely d/l them and play with them.