Options

Online certificate worth it?

on the maton the mat Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
My background is in finance and I've been doing it for about a decade and I'm growing tired of it. I decided I want to switch to IT and looked into an online program through UCLA Extension in Systems Analysis. The program covers database management, SQL, some networking, and some programming. The program costs about $7k. The price tag is pretty steep and I was wondering if with my Finance degree could I just get certifications in lieu of the formal education to make the transition? I am looking to go into Systems Administration. I have my A+ currently and I was thinking of doing N+ and MTA server and database also. I also have some experience with Python and VBA. Basically just want to see if the education is necessary. I'm worried without formal education I'd come off as a paper warrior.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't have to have an IT degree to be successful. The fact that you have a degree is good and you can always go for a MS in IT down the road. You can definitely get certs and try to get entry-level positions to build up your experience and you'll be fine.

Do you want to work heavily with databases? If your wanting to be a Windows Systems Admin, you're not going to have to necessarily need DBA-type knowledge. If you're interested in it then go for it, but I think you'd benefit more from going towards a MCSA than a database cert.

I have no knowledge of that course so I can't vouch for how good the material is, but doesn't sound like it has any "Systems Admin" courses at all, it's for a DBA. Now if you want to be a DBA, then that does sound pretty good. I would think that the MCSA for SQL would be the route to go, otherwise go for 2012.
  • Options
    on the maton the mat Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I am looking to transition to just an entry level position. I was thinking in terms of the education it was for the sake of checking off an IT degree box and saying I was in a program along with my A+. I guess I am concerned about what I need for that entry level position. I would like to transition sooner than later so I thought at least being in the program would help with that. Not sure if just the A+ and my degree would be enough.

In terms of learning, I expect most of that to be on the job.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A+ and N+ are really good starts. I would recommend getting the N+ and trying to volunteer to try to get some experience. I made a big thread on it if you want to search my posts.

It's quite possible the certs and degree (even though it's not IT) are more than enough to get you into an entry-level job, but do as much as you can for yourself to ensure you get your foot in the door.

If you're looking at that program to give you leverage into a job, then I would hold off on it right now. Getting those certs are cheaper and a much better ROI right now IMO.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There seems to be a growing push to have IT folks who can speak "business". I think you can leverage the Finance degree and relate it to IT by focusing on how IT resources support the business. As such, I recommend adding an ITIL Foundations certificate to the mix.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a degree in Business Administration, it has never stopped me from getting an interview in IT. Are you looking to do Business Intelligence are IT System Administration? If you are getting into Business Intelligence the first thing I would do is learn SQL. Oracle has a nice certification for SQL: Oracle Database SQL Fundamentals 1 if you want to get started for $125. If you are looking to go into the System Administrator route than CCENT from Cisco would be an investment at $150 for the certification. Do not spend more than you have to. Could you even afford to spend $7k out of pocket?