Options

Help for a new guy, career changer

jakejakejakejakejakejake Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys, great site.

I'm 33 and looking for a career change in the next couple of years. Really unsure which would be the best route for me. Any input would be appreciated.

Currently, these are the two options I'm considering:

1) - Obtain A.A.S. degree in the next two years.

- Obtain any certs that will be helpful in getting job.

- Apply for entry-level job

- Finish B.S. at WGU to further career down the road, while working at entry-level job.

2) - Obtain A.S. degree

- Obtain certs

- Apply for entry-level job

- Finish B.S. at a four year college. Looking at PSU worldcampus.

My major concerns:

A.A.S. degree will limit me to finishing degree at WGU. However, with an A.A.S. degree, I could be well-prepared for entry-level jobs.

A.S. degree will not prepare me enough for entry-level jobs. However, I would not be limited to where I could finish my B.S. degree.

Right now I'm leaning towards A.A.S. degree. Reason being: I'm an older career-changer, and I fell the sooner I get into the profession, the better. Also, I could still complete B.S., but I'd be limited to WGU (as mentioned).

I feel that if I went straight for the A.S. degree it would be harder finding a job, which would force me to get my B.S., which would take a lot longer - and therefore pushing my start date of a career change even further down the road.

Thanks for any help,
Jake

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What is your current career field and do you already have a degree?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    What is your current career field and do you already have a degree?

My current career has nothing to do with IT. I own a small fulfillment business. I do very well financially, but the future is not bright. Hence why I'm looking for a career change.

I do not have a degree. I do have some credits, though.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What do you want to specialize in or what areas of the industry interest you: cloud computing, development (DevOps), programming, networking, security, etc..?

That would help us so we can suggest certs and recommended training icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    What do you want to specialize in or what areas of the industry interest you: cloud computing, development (DevOps), programming, networking, security, etc..?

That would help us so we can suggest certs and recommended training icon_thumright.gif

Security, development. Only have general knowledge of specialties. Not sure which area I'd like to pursue until I enter school and exposed to different ares.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would suggest to just start with the basic CompTIA certs to build that foundation then from there you can specialize: A+, Network+, and Security+

Security -> Security+, CEH/CHFI, CISSP are the best certs I hear for this specialty but I am sure I may be missing some.

Development -> It depends on what environments interest you for the cloud (AWS/VMware/Azure) for DevOps and if it's programming learning some languages for software(C++, C#, Java, Python, etc..)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is there a reason you want to avoid WGU? I personally don't see how an Associates degree would help you at all. I would grab a cert or two then hop right into WGU to get your BS while getting an entry-level job. Associate's isn't going to make your resume stand out a ton and you can shave off so much time/money with WGU. Also, you'll be able to figure out where you want to go quicker.

As Dakking said, just focus on some entry-level CompTIA certs at first since you aren't sure what exactly you want to specialize in. Those give you a good base knowledge of basic IT. CCENT/CCNA is always a solid cert to have too because no matter where you want to go you're going to need a decent understanding of networking.
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in your position to some degree also. I'm getting my A+ and N+ then plan on enrolling in WGU. I don't have an Associates degree either but I believe if you can really put the time and effort into WGU you could walk out of there with a BS in 3 years. Also your tuition covers for your certification fee (unless that's changed) and those aren't cheap. A+,N+, and S+ alone will run you around 1K.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From experience I'd recommend WGU or at least jumping right into a BS. WGU will likely cost less than an AAS and might take less time. Two years is reasonable if you can average 20-30 hours a week on it while getting some experience in the field. On a resume studying for a BS shows so much more dedication then studying an AAS. I was as old as you when I changed careers, even with an AAS in IT companies didn't really take me seriously until I put WGU with an expected date on my resume. Within a month I had multiple offers, after looking passively for a couple of years and actively for almost a year.

Now that I have the BS from WGU companies again are taking me more seriously while my experience is basically a JOAT. Barely lost out on an engineer position last week and interviewing for two upper mid-level system positions next week. This is the best luck I've had looking for a more advanced position in six months of looking. Just two weeks after finishing the BSIT. I've learned that a bachelor's degree matters a lot more to HR then I expected.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    One time I calculated out the cost for two attempts at those 7 certs in the IT Security program. I think it was over 6k.

When I first got into the IT program at my community college they were coming out with a BAS in Cybersecurity. I was pretty stoked for this and decided to go through the AAS program to get there. However near the end of this program I couldn't stand going there anymore. Two years is a looong time for the requirements of that AAS degree. When I thought about doing two more it started to look more like a prison term. I heard someone talking about WGU at my school, then found the forums here and I decided that I was going to go to WGU. Best decision ever. Actually the best decision would have been doing it instead of the AAS.

It does have one advantage though: Hands-on and usually a provided (required) internship. If you have money for your own labs then that's great.. Otherwise..

Good luck in your decisions

PS: Despite what people think, submitting hundreds of pointless assignments to earn grade points is a model of the past.
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Segovia wrote: »
    It does have one advantage though: Hands-on and usually a provided (required) internship. If you have money for your own labs then that's great.. Otherwise..

Good luck in your decisions

PS: Despite what people think, submitting hundreds of pointless assignments to earn grade points is a model of the past.

Yeah, the best thing that Associate degree at a community college or similar will offer you, is hands on. In fact, if you are looking at associates, then that should be the main thing to choose it on, above the name of the college or whether it is AAS vs AS or whatever. It's that practical hands on, with instruction from someone who has a clue, that really makes the difference early on. This is why WGU might not be the best option for real beginners, because it is at a distance, you don't get that intensive, guided, hands on that builds your confidence and basic skills. Once you have a bit of a foundation, it's easier to go out and start doing more on your own.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Some good advice in here. Thanks for all of the input.

As the above poster mentioned, one of the best things about going to community college first is the hands-on learning I'd get to do. I think that's my best route at this point. I'm certain that if I go into I.T., my best bet would be to obtain an A.A.S. and then transfer into WGU. Hopefully get a job in the field prior to attending WGU.

I'm registering for classes tomorrow. Degree should take me 2 years which is fine because I have customer obligations at my current business for approx. that amount of time. After that, I'm looking forward to a new career.
  • Options
    Awesome Jake! I didn't mean to make this path sound bad, I mean it's exactly what I did. My college's computer labs were actually quite awesome. We had intense vmware capacities for building VMs and virtual networks along with very nice and shiny Cisco routers and switches (one each per student). I'll never be able to get that by studying WGU @ home haha. The main problem I had was the old school structure, useless classes (although AAS is a lot better in this aspect than a transfer degree), and a couple lousy teachers.

Congrats

PS: My biggest piece of advice if you really are going into WGU after, or even if you aren't.. Get a few certs while you are in school. At least try for A+ and Net+
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe it's just me but the two different colleges I attended prior to WGU didn't have knowledgeable professors and their labs sucked. Since they are all 101 classes in the Associate's anyway, you could probably just build a PC yourself and then install server 2008/2012 on a box and call it good. But hey that's just my opinion. If getting an Associate's is what you think is best, then go for it. :)
  • Options
    One thing that helped our networking program is that we went through Cisco Networking Academy which Cisco actually regulates. Not only does the professor have to have a CCNA, they also have to obtain an Instructor cert from Cisco that apparently was pretty rough. They also set guidelines for our labs and all that.

So basically we had one great teacher. :)
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Segovia wrote: »
    One thing that helped our networking program is that we went through Cisco Networking Academy which Cisco actually regulates. Not only does the professor have to have a CCNA, they also have to obtain an Instructor cert from Cisco that apparently was pretty rough. They also set guidelines for our labs and all that.

So basically we had one great teacher. :)

Ah, yes. This too. Double plus upvotes for Cisco Networking Academy. It is probably also true for the VMware courses, if the college has an official affiliation with VMware, it will set a base quality. I went through a Cisco course, and honestly, even with the average teacher we had it was one of the best IT courses I have done.

There's a lot of variation between colleges, but also in colleges and programs. Don't jump in blindly.

Once you start to feel your way through a bit, then start setting up a home lab, and extending past the work you are doing in your courses. Don't be afraid to go "too far", because it will all be useful, and usually going further makes the more basic stuff stick better.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM