Options

Apple's Swift is now open-sourced

varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
So Apple decided to give its Swift programming language to the open-source community. It isn't exclusive to Apple's platform anymore. So now we can write Swift code on and for Linux. icon_cheers.gif
Are you as excited? It seems like an improved version of Java that Apple used to use on its computers before abandoning it in favor of Objective-C. Or maybe I am wrong with this analogy and chronology.
Tuples as a a language construct seem exciting, from my Java days I remember how much effort one had to put into making a method return two values of different types at the same time.
Swift can now be found at http://swift.org
Looks promising...

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought it looked alot like C, but it was much simpler. Pretty certain anyone who wanted to code could learn swift easy.

Forget the exact name of the site, but something like greentreehouse .com or something like that (that probably wasn't right what I wrote icon_wink.gif) had really good video and easy to follow videos on it.
  • Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    I am hoping that Microsoft Visual Studios has an update for this. I am newer to programming, not sure if they already have it in there or not.