Options

Please review my Resume

endlessappsendlessapps Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I attached my sanitized resume please let me know if there are any changes or placement I should make thanks!

Comments

• Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks good only think that I am not too fond of is the way have Certifications in the boxes. The rest looks good but I would move Education down to the bottom.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i would move your school to the bottom to balance. reasons, you have the experience, certs...........you're a professional now :) the only reason you would have your school on top is that you're new to the field and need help to expose your value.
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I think your summary is extremely inefficient. It reads like an objective, which rarely works well for the job seeker. The goal of that section should be to catch the hiring manager's eye by summarizing important details of your experience and qualifications. You need to present something that sells yourself well. Who are you (achievements, qualifications, etc.), what you have done, yadda yadda yadda.

I would also list the full name of those certs. Remember if an HR drone (or scanner app) is looking for a Cisco Certified Network Professional and you just out CCNP, they may incorrectly assume you do not qualify.
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    I would drop the summary section, if you feel you need it include a high level overview of technologies you are proficient with. I would move the certs and education to the bottom and get rid of the table and include a link to your linkedin somewhere near the top.
  • Options
    SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    Robertf969 wrote: »
    I would drop the summary section, if you feel you need it include a high level overview of technologies you are proficient with. I would move the certs and education to the bottom and get rid of the table and include a link to your linkedin somewhere near the top.

I was going to suggest the opposite and expand the summary.

I would definitely move Certs and Education to the bottom, below your experience. Take the certs out of the boxes. Put them in a list fashion with the acronym AND the full name, along with completion or expiration dates.

I would also suggest a couple formatting changes like moving the headers to the left of the page and making your name a bigger font than the other headings. And perhaps changing the font type.

Other than that you have some awesome skills and experience, your experience section is perfect.
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • Options
    I originally figured to keep the summary section short and sweet because the cover letter would cover that information or am I wrong? I could expand on the summary section but I think it'll expand my resume to a two page format and I think it'll be a bit much considering the bulk of my experience is at my current company. I was thinking to list the certifications in a top down fashion but that'll take a lot of space and leave a lot of white space? no?

Thanks so far for the feedback its very helpful!
  • Options
    Having a generalized summary is bad, but having a specific and targeted tech summary followed by a list of technical skills is really good for us. One of the reasons for this is the first person to look at your resume usually doesn't have much knowledge of technology. They are often given a list of certain required words or skills. They also really love it if you list out the amount of experience in years right next to each skill.

Don't limit yourself to one page, if anything don't go over two pages though. It's not a bad thing to use a smaller font, I use 10 for the body of my resume.
  • Options
    Its already size 10 font type Times new roman. what font type would you recommend?
  • Options
    Sorry for making it seem like your font choice was bad haha it is totally personal preference. Times is widely used for professional documents. I tend to prefer other fonts like Calibri or Cambria or something. But it really doesn't matter.

Just remember that most hiring managers only give a small amount of time looking at each resume. I read a new study that says only SIX seconds.. Jeez.
  • Options
    FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the bulleted info should have periods at the end. Get rid of the boxes/borders around the certifications and add some more bullets with the previous two jobs I'm sure there more info/responsibilities you can add.
  • Options
    I took everyones feedback into consideration and made some adjustments. Please see attachment thanks for everyones help so far!
  • Options
    Awesome! This looks a lot better. Although, I have taken the liberty of making it look a bit prettier. It is up to you if you wish to use mine, I understand if you are afraid of 2 pages icon_lol.gif

For me, the activities always gets a question in interviews ( I put volunteer experience and cyber defense competition I was a part of) They always like to see what you are like beyond the hard skills.

example_resume2.pdf
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Summary as written is pretty bad.
    A results-driven IT Professional with extensive knowledge and experience in the engineering, administration and
    support of information systems. In-depth expertise in the implementation, analysis, optimization, troubleshooting
    and documentation of LAN/WAN network systems such as Cisco Routers/Switches, ASA, CUCM/CUC/IMP,
    Prime, and WLC. Track record for diagnosing complex problems and consistently delivery effective solutions.

"...consistently delivery effective solutions" is so poorly written it'll get your resume filtered out without further consideration. If you must keep the summary, I would rewrite it to something like this:
    IT professional with extensive knowledge and experience in the engineering, administration and support of information systems. In-depth expertise in the implementation, analysis, optimization, troubleshooting and documentation of LAN/WAN network systems. Proven track record of taking ownership of complex problems and consistently delivering effective technical solutions which align with business needs.

You've got enough jargon and keywords elsewhere. If you must keep it, let the summary briefly describe what you do and what you're looking to get hired for.

edit: Just briefly glanced at the rest. You spelled 'certified' wrong at least six times. You have random words capitalized ("Centralized Wireless Management with Cisco WLC solution." for example) throughout the resume.

Another excerpt:
    Providing Network/Voice Consulting to external clients and responsibilities also include Network
    Engineering/Administration of internal network infrastructure, troubleshooting the LAN,WAN which includes
    CUCM/CUC/IMP, Prime, Cisco Routers/Switches, WLC, WAN, Security, Server 08 Active Directory, PRTG and
    other data communication systems.

Why is "Network/Voice Consulting" capitalized? What about the "and responsibilities also include Network Engineering/Administration" part, why isn't it a new sentence? What is 'Server 08?' Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2? Say so! This whole part needs a rewrite.
  • Options
    Thanks for the honest feedback ratbuddy I never know what to write for the summary. It always seemed redundant to me. Oh man I glazed over the grammatical error good catch!
  • Options
    Happy to help, also note that I edited my post to include some more stuff, happy to review again once you've spiffed up.
  • Options
    [QUOTE=ratbuddy;989110

edit: Just briefly glanced at the rest. You spelled 'certified' wrong at least six times. .[/QUOTE]

Thats what I get for copy and pasting it incorrectly 6 times lol. I have to give it a good read before the next draft. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Got your updates done?