Options

How did you dress at your first IT job?

SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
Let me start off by saying that I am a guy, and most of us are guys. I think there are definitely a few women around here too and I encourage you to reply as well!

I have never really had what you would call a professional job. My last real job we could basically wear whatever we wanted and jobs before that it was kind of uniform style.

Anyway I am breaking out into this new and exciting career - IT. I start my new Desktop Support job really soon and I don't have a clue what to wear. In the past I've figured a good amount of IT professionals can dress pretty casual. I've had interviews though for places that wanted me to wear a tie. The job I have accepted however.. It's a pretty nice and professional place, but it is also a non-profit. I have no clue what to do here. (I'm assuming to just shoot for business casual until I know for sure what's going on)

What did you wear on your first day of your first job in IT? Any funny stories to share are welcome icon_lol.gif
WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}

Comments

• Options
    kahnkahn Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I always prefer to wear formal whenever I joined new company and later you would figured it out as what to wear. I used to wear formal by force but later we agreed in the department that we can wear casuals on Thursdays (I work in middle east) and later the casual culture extended to the whole week and that's what I liked but right now where I am working, can't wear except formal icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    So I love wearing suits.. The only problem is that I am very poor, I only have one suit. And while it is really slick looking, it is not really meant for a business environment. Even if I did wear this one suit, wearing it everyday would be extremely tacky.

Sorry to hear about your strict dress code haha
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Day 1 should be a suit until you get a feel for the environment, but always ask what the dress code is to be sure.

If you don't have a suit, borrow one or get a cheap one (you can always use it again in interviews as you move up the career ladder) - but you have to show you are making an effort to reach the highest standard.

Remember that on your first day you are going to be introduced to load of people, including other managers and HR, so make a good impression as someone serious and not just another techie in jeans and a t-shirt.

I always tell my hires at job offer stage what the dress code it, but I expect them to know to exceed expectations on their first day - it sets a poor example if they immediately move into their comfort zone (this is likely to reflect in their work in my experience).

Don't wear a suit that is suitable for a night club - sensible is better although go wild with a tie if you must - shoes and a belt can add personality too so long as they are clean (a detail too many miss).

From day 2 you can follow the standards of the rest of the team but keep it smarter than them and above all, keep a high standard of personal hygiene for both your body and clothes. I've had staff who would dress up fine but wore a coat that smelled like a tramp had been sleeping rough in it for a month, and I had to have that awkward conversation of telling them to wash it. Not a good impression to make on me as their manager.

I hope that helps with what you are expected to do from an employer’s point of view.

Thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    In this part of the world, in most IT environments I'd be concerned or suspicious if someone turned up in a suit. It rarely gets more formal than a button up shirt. Tshirts have been more common in my experience, as long as they are clean and not covered in expletives :)

I realise that cultural norms vary from place to place, though, and what the minimum acceptable standard probably varies a lot from place to place. In warmer parts of Australia, shorts are common even in businesses that you'd expect to be fairly formal. It just gets too hot to wear suits. A suit seems almost practical on a December day in London.

But I've always found it odd, though, how much emphasis people put on what other people are wearing. If you are sitting in front of a screen all day, writing code, the most important thing is that you are comfortable, not what you are wearing. Are you going to fix more computers wearing a suit and tie over jeans and tshirt? Competent management will be able to focus on what matters, rather than fringe issues like the length of your hair, or whether you've polished your shoes that morning.

Something that someone I know used to say is that the more competent you are, the more deviant you are allowed to be. People will endure the rockstar coder or architect wearing fluffy pink bunny slippers to the 10AM meeting because they know they get the job done. Far less likely to put up with that kind of thing from the new guy on the help desk.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    OctalDump wrote: »
    But I've always found it odd, though, how much emphasis people put on what other people are wearing. If you are sitting in front of a screen all day, writing code, the most important thing is that you are comfortable, not what you are wearing. Are you going to fix more computers wearing a suit and tie over jeans and tshirt? Competent management will be able to focus on what matters, rather than fringe issues like the length of your hair, or whether you've polished your shoes that morning.

Something that someone I know used to say is that the more competent you are, the more deviant you are allowed to be. People will endure the rockstar coder or architect wearing fluffy pink bunny slippers to the 10AM meeting because they know they get the job done. Far less likely to put up with that kind of thing from the new guy on the help desk.

I understand and agree with you, but life isn't like that. Once you are in and have proven your ability then fine, but you need if you are serious about impressing the people who make decisions (ie managers) then you should do some mirroring and let them see something a bit like themselves so they don't just pigeonhole you into the "just another grunt on the desk" category.

This is probably more common in an office environment than a datacentre but there are common threads in the way managers think, and impressing them on day 1 by being looking the part avoids you getting "marked down" in their eyes. Day 2 onwards you join the herd and dress like they do.

Yes it should all be on merit and ability, but this is rarely the case in my experience (I've worked for over 10 companies in 28 years) and from a managers point of view you eventually see so many new recruits over the years that this is what you come to think, simply out of fatigue of going through the new recruit process time and again.

Just my take from the other side of the fence :)

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    OctalDump wrote: »
    In this part of the world, in most IT environments I'd be concerned or suspicious if someone turned up in a suit. It rarely gets more formal than a button up shirt. Tshirts have been more common in my experience, as long as they are clean and not covered in expletives :)

I realise that cultural norms vary from place to place, though, and what the minimum acceptable standard probably varies a lot from place to place. In warmer parts of Australia, shorts are common even in businesses that you'd expect to be fairly formal. It just gets too hot to wear suits. A suit seems almost practical on a December day in London.

100% agree. I work DoD contracts and if I saw an IT (non-manager) guy come in wearing a suit I would chuckle a bit. I get down and dirty - installing machines and troubleshooting computers all day. I would get a suit messed up in a heartbeat. I usually wear khaki pants or black pants and a polo shirt or button up shirt.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was always told what the dress code would be before I started so I dressed accordingly. If it isn't mentioned then I would ask. How the interviewers are dressed is a big clue. When I interviewed for a telco, everyone was dressed casual. When I interviewed for a bank, everyone wore suits and were clean shaven.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    In many IT assignments I have been at, business casual (khakis and dress shirt) seems to be the standard. Some places are casual but not many. Showing up in a suit would be going too far, even for the interview, unless it was a higher role like a network administrator or something like that.

My current job is business casual but we can wear jeans and t shirts on Friday, which I do.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Have you never been to the office to see what people are wearing? If not just ask your new boss. Everything else failing go business casual and adjust down from there. I wouldn't go suit unless you know that's a requirement.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Segovia wrote: »
    I start my new Desktop Support job really soon and I don't have a clue what to wear. In the past I've figured a good amount of IT professionals can dress pretty casual.

What did you wear on your first day of your first job in IT? Any funny stories to share are welcome icon_lol.gif

I started in Computer Operations, I wore a dress shirt, docker pants and shoes. I worked both Grave and Swing shift, so I didn't interface with many executives.

Next I worked as Hardware Tech and later a system admin during the day. I was a lot more visible to upper management, I wore dress shirt, docker pants and shoes AND a tie. The tie however I personalized somewhat. I had an M&M tie, a Tie with mathematical equations on it, a tie with all white sheep and one black sheep, etc.

When I switched jobs to another company, I wore my ties the first week, but it was a different working environment, no one wore ties, I haven't wore a tie in almost 10 years now. But I still dress professionally. Where I work now, in an industrial environment most people wear jeans and a t-shirt, I'm one of the few people that dress with a collared shirt.
    UncleB wrote: »
    Day 1 should be a suit until you get a feel for the environment, but always ask what the dress code is to be sure.

I wouldn't for desk side support, maybe for a system administrator position. Desk Side support often means your going to get dirty, crawling under desks, moving furniture to get to wall jacks, getting toner on you clearing a paper jam. This isn't the type of job for a suit.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Have you never been to the office to see what people are wearing? If not just ask your new boss. Everything else failing go business casual and adjust down from there. I wouldn't go suit unless you know that's a requirement.

When I had my interview he (my new boss) took me to one of those tiny strange 1 on 1 conference rooms and he was dressed business casual I think, wasn't paying too much attention. But his clothes did seem nice. (He said he worked at Nordstroms for 10 years lol) But I didn't get to see the actual IT teams at all it was probably segmented off somewhere (the place is huge) and the building is full of all kinds of different people doing different things. I think you're right and I am just gonna play it business casual.

TechGromit: That sounds just about right to me actually. I would definitely wear a suit to an interview for a higher level job. But it's good to know that my idea of docker pants and dress shirts would be just fine.

I couldn't imagine break/fix operations with a legit suit on icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wear a dress to work now, but that's because I'm no longer having to get under desks etc. When I worked as a hardware technician I would dress more sensibly considering the role. Like others have said here it all depends on the company, if you're meeting clients, or whether you have frequent meetings with senior managers etc.

I'd go with a dress shirt and trousers (slacks) with a nice pair of shoes. Then you can adjust accordingly.
  • Options
    I knew there was a woman lurking about! Thanks for your input
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I wouldn't wear a suit on your first day unless you know for a fact that it's the norm for your team. Otherwise it's overkill and will make you stand out in a bad way.

Khakis/slacks and a polo/oxford should be fine for 9 out of 10 IT environments.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've worked for places that have been mandatory as formal as a dress-shirt and tie (suits are not common here even in professional circles outside of a few specific industries) and as informal as printed t-shirts and shorts. The latter place drew the line at "Byte me!" that one coworker had had made-up and handed out to some of the guys. This was internal IT support for the organization itself.

Formal attire seems to play in to those that do work for other organizations more than for those that do work primarily for the company directly. The place that required the dress shirt and tie was one that worked for other businesses on a consulting basis.

Where I work now, in support of the company itself, I wear either company-provided polos, henleys, or dress shirts with the company embroidered on them, or else I wear dress shirts or else very high quality polos. I wear either slacks or else very nice denim jeans. I could wear shorts in the summer but I generally don't.

I agree with others, go with what the interviewers wore or what you saw when you visited, or else go maybe a half a step up.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    1st day, dress professional (at least a shirt and tie). You will find out quickly what is considered the norm. Most companies have gone to business casual except maybe if interfacing with customers. You could also ask HR what the norm is for attire.
  • Options
    Understand this...if you underdress you look like a fool 100% of the time. If you overdress you will be seen as a professional and can adjust.

People who say otherwise: a. Don't know what they are talking about, and b. Probably routinely show up underdressed or haven't been to a new job in a while.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Understand this...if you underdress you look like a fool 100% of the time. If you overdress you will be seen as a professional and can adjust.

People who say otherwise: a. Don't know what they are talking about, and b. Probably routinely show up underdressed or haven't been to a new job in a while.

It probably also depends how far over or under dressed you go. Pyjamas on the first day, or white tie? Have you seen the movie QuickSilver with Kevin Bacon? There's a scene where he's telling his friend to wear a suit to the bank when applying for a loan. The guy shows up wearing a bad 80s tuxedo - pale blue, I think - the kind you'd wear as a groomsman to a wedding.

Probably more conformist environments are going to be more formal.

Business suit when everyone else is wearing khakis/jeans and tshirts can make you look like you "Don't get it", but likely the organisation is a bit more relaxed and sensible and you can just take the tie and jacket off, and next day wear the same as everyone else, or a little nicer. On the other hand, if everyone is wearing business suits and you show up in a tshirt, then there's a chance you will be sent home to change since the organisation is more likely to be a bit uptight about appearances.

For every problem, there's a simple solution: Ask.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    TechGuru80 wrote: »

It's almost like, that's just your opinion man! I'd certainly think someone that showed up in a suit looks more foolish than the guy that just might not have his shirt tucked in. Now common sense would tell you not to show up in cut offs and a beater unless you know before hand it's cool.
  • Options
    It's almost like, that's just your opinion man! I'd certainly think someone that showed up in a suit looks more foolish than the guy that just might not have his shirt tucked in. Now common sense would tell you not to show up in cut offs and a beater unless you know before hand it's cool.
    I've been in enough high level meetings and interacted with enough high level executives to make that fact not opinion. Of course that is based on not having knowledge of how people dress at a given company. If you can find out or know that changes things but the statement I made is based off of not having any information and going in for your first day.
  • Options
    There really is no "fact" in this situation as it all comes down to personal individual opinions. Yours certainly seems to be in the minority here.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've been in IT 16 years, starting off from Desktop Support. I've worked in very businessy (is that even a word?) environments such as finance, big pharma, and healthcare. A desktop guy showing up in a suit the first day would be the oddest thing in the world and would stick out like a sore thumb. I always advocate suit for interviews but first day for this specific role would be just odd.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is why I always ask what their dress code is before I start. If I'm not sure then I just default to business casual. No one is going to look at you weird if you're dressed like that. And if they require a suit/tie I can't imagine they wouldn't tell you beforehand.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I've been in IT 16 years, starting off from Desktop Support. I've worked in very businessy (is that even a word?) environments such as finance, big pharma, and healthcare. A desktop guy showing up in a suit the first day would be the oddest thing in the world and would stick out like a sore thumb. I always advocate suit for interviews but first day for this specific role would be just odd.

Haha I can't believe the extremes of opinions this thread started but yeah.. I think in a lot of cases wearing as suit as a Desktop guy would just be a joke. At least the suits I'm thinking of.. Maybe without a jacket or tie would be alright? Anyway, the job is at a well known non-profit in Seattle so it's not like I'm going to be acting like James Bond or anything.

Hell I didn't even wear a suit to the interview. Although I have in other interviews.
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on where you are and how visible you are to the customer.

Big stuffy company or government institution? You'll be going to the users' offices to do hands-on stuff? Plan on wearing a tie.

Otherwise, in the States most places are business casual, meaning no tie required but no jeans or sneakers allowed either.

When in doubt, ask the HR folks, or look on the company website in the section for employees, you probably can find the employee handbook.

Personally, I wear something a bit more formal for the first day, better to be over-dressed than under-dressed.

Good luck at the new job!
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ask you manager, or the HR dept before you start, what their dress code is...

anything else is just guesswork...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    How the company's Dress Policy stated.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    There is no dress policy. Waiting back on the e-mail to HR lady.

Definitely not wearing a suit though. That sounds ridiculous. Was concerned more about khaki vs slacks, tie or no, etc.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    If it is not stated, still wear something nice the first day and see how your co-workers dress.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think dockers or some sort of casual pants (non-jeans) and a decent polo shirt (tucked in) with casual dress shoes and no tie, should be enough for most jobs. I work in a very conservative business wallstreet-ish company so I wear dress shoes, slacks, dress shirts and keep the polos for fridays. I got used to it now, but the casual clothing above is comfortable and gives you a nice respectable look during the day when you are out and about. You can get sloppy after a while wearing jeans and tshirts at work.

but like many have mentioned, for first day or first week, go with dress shirt and tie until you noticed how your boss and others dress. I wore a tie and suit on first day, next days was just slacks/khakis, dress shoes, dress shirts, and no tie. We have to wear ties for special high level meetings though.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX