Options

Trying to make the jump from Service Desk to Systems Engineer. Please help! (Resume)

hammncheesehammncheese Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I am really trying to make the jump from the Service Desk to a System Engineer role. Attached is my resume and below is the job description for what I am looking to get into. If anyone else has made a similar jump could you please share your experience. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Service Desk Analyst II Resume Critique.pdf

Description
  • Plays an active role in the design, implementation and administration of major IT infrastructure systems
  • Responsible for project assignments/management, as assigned
  • Works as part of IT Infrastructure team on a wide variety of projects
  • Sets up, configures and tests servers including, but not limited to, Windows, Linux, AIX and IBM i
  • Sets up, configures, tests and maintains system monitoring solutions
  • Sets up, configures and tests new system software
  • Rolls out new back-end systems
  • Rolls out new hardware and system software to user community
  • Participates in the administration of backup and restore processes for Data Center as well as DC system servers
  • Participates in the maintenance of compliance levels on Operating System Service Packs.
  • Creates and manages multiple user accounts on various systems
  • Manages Directory structures across multiple member servers
  • Performs periodic system performance tests to ensure systems are working at optimal levels

Comments

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The few cases I know that managed to get into Sys Engineer roles, they did it after getting their MCSA certification.

And it helps if you have been creating VMs and trying out the different windows features such as DNS, DHCP, WDS and group polices. At least you are able to answer interview questions about Windows Servers.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I was fortunate to make this transition working for the same employer, an MSP. They gave some training, sent me on a course, had some guidance on the job, but mostly just gave me harder and harder work.

If you want to get into this kind of role, you should aim at getting MCSA Server level knowledge. If you are looking at also mixed environments, then Linux+ is a good start for the whole Linux side of things. The problem, unfortunately, is that your resume has lots of good Service Desk stuff, but nothing much to say "this candidate can do systems engineering". If you had an MCSA, RHCE, CCNA, VCP or similar, then those certs could at least show that you have some infrastructure skills.

Maybe you can emphasise the systems stuff that you are currently doing. Are you building SOEs? Involved in deployment? Configuring any services, client or server side? Monitoring systems (and if so, which tools you are using)? Involved in testing eg predeployment? Create Group Policy? Create OUs or other AD configuration?

In your workplace, ask the systems engineers questions, see if you can get a mentor or sponsor. Generally people are pretty helpful and like talking about their work, especially technical work since a willing audience is rare. And keep your ear out for any internal promotion.

If you can't get hands on work experience, then a home lab and volunteering can help build the skills. The home lab for technical skills and problem solving, and the volunteering for dealing with vague users :)

So
    1. Look at many job ads, and the skills they are asking for
    2. Grow your skills to match the things the job ads ask for, however you can
    3. get certification in some of these areas
    4. create a resume that emphasises the areas where your skills/knowledge/experience match the employer's wishlist
    5. apply to as many jobs as you can
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM