Options

Unable to get any Junior/Entry level IT Security Job (6 Years +Technical Support Exp)

infogenesisinfogenesis Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everybody, first day and first post here. I am from Toronto, ON. I was googling IT security and found this form. Reading for past 4 hours different great posts which inspired me to post mine to get some input from all of you great people.

My sad story is, I am trying to get into IT security (got Security +, Project+, MTA, CIW, Bachelor in IT Management from WGU) and trying to get at least some basic entry level job in IT Security. I applied for junior/starter/entry level roles, just got calls for 2 interviews mainly with Deloitte and another firm but no results.

I am working for over 6+ years providing technical support. I am quit experienced in monitoring, logging, incident response, general troubleshooting of Firewall (juniper etc), networking etc, windows severs , Active Directory, Exchange etc. Working knowledge of some of tools that an IT analyst might use such as Mcafe EPO, Metasploit etc. Have great references, worked over 5 different IT companies.

Despite this all, I can't even get into just a starter role in IT security. For example, a recent experience with Deloitte; Junior SOC Analyst. They were looking for a entry level role to monitor alerts, incidents and action that's all. I applied, got interview, was just asked 3 questions ' about myself, education and if I know its Junior role". Got email after 5 days that my experience and knowledge doesn't qualify for the role. Several other examples almost same.

I need advise from you guys. What should I do, how should I get into IT Security Field. I know its a broad field, need different knowledge , skills and experience but all I want is a entry level role. I know I will have to learn from scratch. I really don't care how much they will pay, what shift hours or how far I would have to drive. I am ready to take whatever but seems all my efforts getting nowhere. Should I remove all my experience etc on resume and linkedin or do I need to get more certificates to get even a starter/entry level job? I don't know really, pretty upset. I am tired of tech support and really want a change into career. IT security seems miles away.

Any advise, any tips to land a basic infosec job would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rudegeekrudegeek Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say take the OSCP. It's a big eye eye opener. Even if you aren't interested in Pentesting.

More so for the value of the knowledge and not the paper cert.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How many jobs have you applied to? Maybe post a sanitized version of your resume here for review?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    you also only have entry level certs, why not try and get more advance certs? CCNA, MSCA, or how bout more security certs like SSCP, CEH, OSCP, GSEC, or GCIH (sans ones might be little expensive though)
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP, I was in the same boat as you trying to break into IT security with 10 years IT Support experience w/ a little hands on with certain tools & security concepts. I ended up with a job interview for a Cyber Security Analyst, but they thought I was a better fit as a System Administrator, so they brought they offered me that instead. Plus side as I'll get more experience working with th Cyber Security / IA team and processes so I'm hoping this well help me get into a more security focused role later on.
    you also only have entry level certs, why not try and get more advance certs? CCNA, MSCA, or how bout more security certs like SSCP, CEH, OSCP, GSEC, or GCIH (sans ones might be little expensive though)

I think this was my problem as well, I only have A+ & Security+. I plan on going for CASP next year to improve the resume and my knowledge of security in general.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)