vCenter - Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services Role?

higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
Hello all,

So I realized on our vCenter server the ADLS role is installed. It was my understanding that during the SSO installation vMware needed ADAM tools which it looks in a C:\Windows directory for and since the role isn't there it won't install. So from what I read some individuals install this role and services and then afterwards remove the role once SSO is installed. This doesn't make any sense to me. Could someone explain to me why during the SSO installation process that this could not be done directly? Or did the previous individuals do something in correctly. I don't remember ever installing ADLS for SSO. vMware states you can remove it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Below are links;

http://www.virtualizationteam.com/tag/vcenter-sso

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2006850

//Higherho

Comments

• LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I'm going to say they did it wrong. I'm looking at our vCenter server now and we have SSO configured and ADLS is not installed on the server (Windows Server 2012).

I did the vCenter installation and have managed the server since inception and unless someone else did it - ADLS was not uninstalled to my knowledge.

I would suggest backing up the server entirely before proceeding with any role / feature removal.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Thanks LEx! Yea all the issues I heard about was regarding 2008. I'm glad to hear about 2012 because we are finally moving to 2012 R2 lol
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Haha ya I hear you. When we move to vCenter 6.0 (sometime next year) i'm probably going to put it on 2012 R2, i really dislike navigating on 2012, trying to find that magic spot on the left to get my start menu and trying to restart by getting the gear on the right is a nightmare.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Yea I'm testing vCenter 6 and ESXi 6 in the lab I built at work (ESXi 5.5, enterprise plus, 1 TB of ram, 96 cpu cores) before moving products into production. Thing is, I like 5.5 and Enterprise + licenses. So far I do not see anything major for me to move everything. Also deploying Horizon View 5.3!! individuals will be connecting to our lab via zero clients then I can move that same design to production. Although I have too many SA's who are Microsoft fanboys and want to use SCCM + hyper V instead of VMware products. I always tell the to pound sand and that I rather have a mixed environment instead of all Microsoft stuff lol. I do a lot of research and test on all products within this field. I wish more would do the same.