Options

Closing an interview

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
Lately I've been saying something along the lines of "The position is very interesting and looks like a reasonable challenge where I could flourish. Thanks for for your time, have a great day!" I'm unsure if it has any effect one way or the other. Does anyone have suggestions on how to close a phone or face to face interview?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You can say that in your thank you letter afterwards. At the end of the interview, ask for business cards and ask what is the next step in the process.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Business cards is something that I usually ask for after a face to face. The success rate of actually getting them is quite low in my experience. I can understand it with the technical guys but HR often doesn't have it either.

How about closing out an initial phone interview? Thank you letter?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I think the line you use is efficient as I use something very similar for phone interviews and have found success (got 3/3 job offers) even though 2/3 interviews went terribly bad. Always, always, always ask for business cards / email addresses for the hiring manager / the technical team that's interviewing you. The thank you letter really shows that you are generally interested in the position, and from personal experience, the hiring manager's appreciate the fact that I took the time to formulate an email thanking them for the opportunity to interview. Lots of people always forget the 'thank you' letter and that really can impact their decision on hiring you or not.

Good luck.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Me: So what are the next steps in the process?

Interviewer: blah blah blah

Me: Sounds good, thank you for your time and look forward to hearing hearing back from you.

Interviewer: thank you for taking the time to talk to me

Me: Have a great day (or "great weekend" if it is Friday)

**hang up phone**
  • Options
    OH: On the phone I ask what the next step in the process as well. --- Usually, the people are like screeners, so they have no idea what to answer regarding your questions, so ask if it is a long tern project..things like that.
  • Options
    Thank you note after screening would be strange right?

I've done dozens of these while always finding the closing to be a weak spot and looking for improvement. Unfortunately I've been forced to find another position on very short notice. So really trying my best.
  • Options
    No, I have done it. It doesn't hurt..