Options

Which cert for new position

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have recently transitioned from primarily a INFO security position into a network/systems administration role in my organization. Management felt it was a good move for me because I am familiar with SCCM, AD, DRA, R2 and some of the vulnerability tools they use as I did sys admn before I was hired for security. I am actually excited to go more technical as I was getting bored of the policy work. At ay rate I would like to dig into the sys/net adm role into a little more depth and am going to rely on a cert to assist me. I am trying to decide between MCSE or CCNA.

Here is a little more in depth on the network and roles I have so maybe you can better get an understanding of which cert to go with.

Manage about 6-8 servers (full access)
Mange all IP space
Manage about 250 workstations and about 350 users (full access)
Manage 10 encryption devices
No access to switches or routers (another department)

I was considering doing the CCNA as I have already been studying for ENT, but I have no access to the switch/route part of the network. Once the switches and routers are set up I manage them, but cannot make any changes.

Having said that I was thinking about just doing MCSA/MCSE and honing my skills in on the server side of the house because that is what I have full access too?

Any ideas on what cert or education would help me in my duties as sys/net adm?

Any advice would help!

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Id pump the brakes on certs until youre more comfortable in your new role and can see what youll need to know and learn.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like MCSA/MCSE to me. Gratz on the new position too!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Id pump the brakes on certs until youre more comfortable in your new role and can see what youll need to know and learn.

Well that's the funny thing is that I worked for another organization as a sys admn and supported all the functions of the role I have now. So I already was involved in that side of the house.
  • Options

I am leaning towards that side, thanks. Same pay but actual work I like.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□

This is my certification recommendation as well once you get settled into the role!! Congrats again icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MCSE seems to make more sense for the role, but I think CCNA would be more fun. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your new role. CCNA, CCNP and CCIE. Then you will be promoted to CIO :)
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are leaning towards the OS environments then obtain your Microsoft and Linux credentials first.

You should also do some Cisco certs as it will give you well rounded knowledge. You can setup virtual environments to obtain more hands on experience.
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCSE: Server Infrastructure all the way. Most closely aligns with what you've described by far.

You'll still do a good chunk about networking on this track. Not specifically managing routers and switches, but designing, implementing, and managing the network topology, protocols and provisions for accessing network resources, i.e., DHCP, DNS, VPN, PKI, IPAM, NAP, etc.

To give you an idea, look at the exam outline for 70-413.

It wouldn't hurt to get CCENT and see how useful that is in your new role. But I'd get my MCSA at least before any Cisco cert if I were in your shoes.
  • Options
    bigdogz wrote: »
    If you are leaning towards the OS environments then obtain your Microsoft and Linux credentials first.

You should also do some Cisco certs as it will give you well rounded knowledge. You can setup virtual environments to obtain more hands on experience.

I see your Red Hat certs, what do Linux certs do for you in a Microsoft environment?
  • Options
    OK first off, thanks for the responses. I will pursue the MSCE, but looking at Microsoft's certification path is like looking at detailed schematics of a fighter jet.

If my ultimate goal is MCSE server what the hell should I do?

Like I said I have about 3-4 years admin exp all windows. I have mostly used 08 R2 up to this point, but I might take the 12 track. But I was reading that 16 is now coming out??????
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    OK first off, thanks for the responses. I will pursue the MSCE, but looking at Microsoft's certification path is like looking at detailed schematics of a fighter jet.

If my ultimate goal is MCSE server what the hell should I do?

Like I said I have about 3-4 years admin exp all windows. I have mostly used 08 R2 up to this point, but I might take the 12 track. But I was reading that 16 is now coming out??????

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCSA will do for regular sysadmin. MCSE is more for network/AD design and requires re-certification.

With Server 2016 coming out, expect 2008 exams to retire soon.
    Microsoft usually provides 1 year's notice before an exam is retired.
    Is your environment 2008 or 2012? 2008 EOL in 2020, so some companies will stick with it and make the jump to Server 2016.

Thought you were taking CEH?