Options

SMB JOAT to server\desktop support

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
Earlier this week I lost my position as a JOAT for a SMB. I started out last year in a desktop support role putting out fires for a month or so. Then I was given server tasks that others weren't able to perform and I continued to receive the more complicated projects, which was fun. Meanwhile, I was taking care of the workstations but they were pretty solid and the average was down to maybe one issue a day, which could have led to my demise. I've grown to dislike most workstation issues and certifying to show it. They aren't challenging for me, thus I'm not advancing.

I've been looking and applying for mid-level systems and entry level network positions for the past 3 months or so. Getting the occasional interview and the feedback I've been given is they like my personality and feel I'd fit in well but they want more experience. I really only have one year of focused experience. I've done many other things the past 10 years on a smaller scale that has benefited me greatly but since it was only a side job it's dismissed.I'm okay for another month or so financially but would really like to get a job offer before the end of the year, it seems unlikely with the dozens of sys admin and the rare entry network position. I'm trying to decide if I should pursue support positions like the one below. I'm concerned it might show regression on my resume and career progression is becoming very common on job listings. Any thoughts on if I should pursue this or not?

The role is expected to deliver and support end user computing devices, servers, software, networks and additional technology needs. Ideal candidates will have excellent technical and interpersonal skills, a can-do attitude and creative problem solving ability. Role will be mainly Desktop Support, but be able to utilize hands-on server and VMware skills, and could potentially grow into more of a Networking role.Responsibilities:

• Troubleshoot and resolve servers, hardware, software and connectivity problems, including user access, requests, and systems configuration.
• Provide all tiers of end-user support on VPN, Microsoft Office platforms.o Establish and share effective desktop support processeso Solid PC background, any Mac experience is a plus• Assist in maintain and administering disaster recovery, network, VMware, security and storage infrastructures
• Maintain all communication systems within the organization including instant messaging, email, video and voice communication.
• Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs.
• Maintain Active Directory and Group Policy• Basic administration of Microsoft SharePoint and Exchange Server
• Maintain current advanced knowledge of relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment and/or systems and develop implementation strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
• Perform ongoing evaluation of software and hardware to ensure the continued and future effectiveness and efficiency of the platforms.
• Ability to work with outside parties to design and deploy new systems and enhancements to existing hardware, applications and operating systems as business needs require
• Accurately track and report effort spent on assigned services.

Qualifications:
• 2 or 4 year degree, or combination of education and related professional level work totaling 4 years. Experience supporting web-hosted applications is a nice to have!
• Customer service experience in a computer related field.
• Experience utilizing enterprise workstation management tools.
• Experience supporting and setting up servers.
• Experience configuring and troubleshooting a variety of computing devices and applications
• Exceptional communication skills – both written and verbal
• Ability to respond quickly and prioritize work

Here's the experience part on my resume from my previous employer:

Managed all support issues that occurred and administrated Active Directory, Office 365 (Exchange Sharepoint, Lync), IIS and Sonicwall. Regularly monitored Veeam backup and replication, applied changes when necessary. Proposed plans to accomplish company goals while suggesting hardware and software purchases. Regularly performed SFW queries in Microsoft SQL server databases to troubleshoot.

ü Promoted from Desktop Support to Systems Administrator based on an exceptional ability to learn, performance completing all projects on time and under budget, technical ability and fitting in with colleagues after a month with the company.
ü As a team, migrated Active Directory\DNS\DHCP, IIS, and file servers from Windows Server 2003 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2. Also migrated SQL server 2005 on Windows Server 2003 R2 to Windows 2008 R2.ü Cut company costs by performing Physical to Virtual migrations in a VMWare ESXi 5.1 environment using vSphere client.
ü Eliminated 90% of support requests by implementing Windows Server Update Service (WSUS), Symantec Endpoint Protection and patch management with group policy. Automated tasks with group policy, powershell and batch scripts.
ü Improved communications by managing user and groups as well as troubleshooting Exchange Online.
ü Increased network uptime by focusing on redundancy and eliminating single points of failure, including: NIC teaming, multiple switched paths, windows service replication, router failover, power redundancy, network and power monitoring.
ü Reduced IT workload by implementing Windows Deployment Services (WDS) and documenting procedures.
ü Collaborated on planning and testing a much more effective backup and disaster recovery plan.
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Position looks okay, but it is certainly a step down from a server administration. Heavily depends on how real this promise to grow up to a network role is. If you don't have anything else and have to land a job quickly -- I'd say it is at least okay to go to the interview and try to find out how good it may be.

Also depends on do you really enjoy working with people. Some folks like desktop support because you can talk to a lot of folks, make connections, etc.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't applied yet but I think I will. Seems like they don't really know what they want from this position, like my last job. The pay range exceeds some admin positions. It would be 100% pay raise if they paid the top of the range.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)