Options

I think I lowballed myself, need advice negotiating this money situation

jaycrewzjaycrewz Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
Skim or skip to the bottom if this is too long. Id appreciate any response.

So I'm in the midst of a career change. Went to business school, graduated, had a few jobs that weren't for me and decided to get into IT last fall. Got my A+ earlier this year, and am studying for my Network+ now. I got interviewed by a local company for desktop support and everything went great...but I feel I flubbed the salary.

During the phone interview I was asked what salary I was looking for...and based on the salaries in other helpdesk or desktop tech jobs I applied for 30k to 35k seemed to be the norm. So I told one of the hiring managers "low to mid 30s". Then during my first interview I met with the helpdesk manager, IT manager and the system admin (each 1 on 1).

I was again asked by the IT manager to talk about money. This time I said "well based on my research and what Ive seen similar positions pay, low to mid 30s seems common...but also high 30s and low 40s depending on the job and company". He said that sounded great and said the position starts at 39k. I was pleased...but felt like I showed my hand too easily and my have left money on the table.

I then met with the CTO a week later for my second interview and it went well. We talked benefits and I got a better idea of the total compensation package. I was offered the job verbally, and I verbally stated Id be glad to join. I'm not sure if they take this to mean I accept the offer. I got an email later and the helpdesk manager made a copy-paste mistake.

The helpdesk manager accidentally sent me the initial welcome-email with the offer for the helpdesk analyst that's also being hired. His job title and name were in the email. Im going to be desktop support. A few minutes later the manager emailed me again to say sorry and correct herself saying she made a copy paste mistake and didn't edit properly.

The salary being offered is 39k, and I definitely feel like negotiating now after that flub. This all said, its a bit weird for them to accidentally show me the salary offer for another employee. Mind you, desktop support the level above helpdesk at this company. The system admin went from helpdesk, to desktop support, to his current job. Also, I believe the helpdesk role doesn't require travel...my job does 1 week out of the month to another local office...as well as to various sites if anything ever goes down.

How do I approach this? I was thinking of asking if there was room to negotiate salary or benefits. Then figure out a way to mention that I feel I should be paid more than the desktop analyst. The salary is still good for a guy starting out in my area...but I don't want to leave money on the table.

At the same time, I don't want to make myself look bad if the managers and CTO assumed I had accepted the initial offer. And btw, they really loved me during the interviews...they even told me how well I did during the interviews. Which almost has me paranoid because Im not used to companies outright trying to snatch me up like that.

Thoughts? Im planning on negotiating once I get the formal offer sheet from HR, since I can have all the compensation information in front of me to evaluate. Mind you, the email I got after my second interview was just to start planning when Id meet HR and do other sign-on stuff.

Comments

• Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually hate giving a range up front, but when I do, I ALWAYS try to give my range with the disclaimer "depending on benefits" or something to that effect. All you've had thus far are verbal discussions, which shouldn't be set in stone. I'd say go ahead and negotiate once the formal offer is extended, saying something like "based on further research and a clearer understanding of your total compensation, I'd like a salary between $XX-YY." Also, be sure to say how excited you are about this opportunity and really want to work for this company etc. It seems like they really like you, and I wouldn't think they'd yank the offer after you tried negotiating. The worse they could do is say no.

That said, $39K doesn't seem so bad for a helpdesk position, depending on where you live. Also, it seems like they like to promote from within, so this might be a good company to work for. Also, if they offer to promote you to a helpdesk analyst position down the line, you could use the manager's mistake to your favor when that time comes. Definitely try to negotiate. Like I said, they worst they can do is say no.
  • Options
    It appears you did not understand my post fully.

Im being offered the Desktop Support position. It is a level above the HelpDesk position.

One of the managers accidentally sent me a welcome email with the name and starting salary figure for the person they are hiring for the Helpdesk job. So basically it looks like they are wanna start us both on the same salary...except that I am a level up and also have work to do at other sites. Also, the current system admin started in helpdesk, then went to desktop support, and then his current job. Along with how I originally said a lowballed myself in the interview, I think I should negotiate for more.

This all said, Im kinda scared to negotiate because I don't want to look greedy given the initial salary range I mentioned in the interviews. And I worry if they would renege the offer. But off course I want to be able to maximize my worth.
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Okay, sorry. Yeah I did get alittle confused. But like I said, if you feel you're worth more, try to negotiate for more when you get the written offer. I wouldn't worry about them pulling the offer simply for negotiating, especially if they said they really like you. Negotiating is almost expected to happen. If they do end up pulling the offer because you negotiated, maybe they're a horrible company to work for and you dodged a bullet.
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. Ill definitely keep you updated
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    So what number would make you happy? It is a no win game comparing yourself to the person sitting next to you or down the hall. You are worth what some other company is willing to pay you. Is there another company in driving distance willing to start you at 39k? That is how to value yourself. Also remember this is a starting salary. If you kick ass in 6 months you can ask for a raise knowing they probably have room to move.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You have to also remember salary depends on experience. If the other guy has more than you it could certainly be a factor. Regardless you don't know the details so comparing salaries is pretty useless in this situation.

You can ask for more. Nothing wrong with negotiating.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I considered the possible difference in experience as well.

How would you suggest I frame the negotiation request given the information I've provided? I sorta feel like I have little leverage given the original low range I gave.
  • Options
    LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think a reasonable salary is what a company is willing to pay you. So I wouldn't worry too much about accepting an offer, which you may think is a little low. Because if it is low, you should be able to put your resume out there again and get a better offer in a month--then take that job.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll get to my point shortly, but first something to keep in mind. People often forget that it's not a one-way relationship when you go to work for someone. We all hear horror stories of someone saying they're consistently working a 60+ hour week, low pay, no time off to relax, they get waterboarded by the accounting department on Tuesdays, etc. Sure there are extenuating circumstances sometimes that people don't have a lot of mobility to find a better fit, but for the most part I don't feel sorry for these people. People put up with as much as they are willing to put up with.

Now, reverse the dynamic and switch roles. You're an employer who overpays his employees, you give one month off the first year, as long as your people show up by 10:00 AM then there's no need to consider a written warning, etc. Sounds pretty nice, for the employee. In either of these cases, someone is losing big time.

Companies want to get as much bang for as little buck as possible, inversely, people want to get as much buck for the least bang. Both are going to do what they can to achieve their goals, so if you accept an offer that is too low, then it must not have actually been too low because you were willing to accept it with no reservations or objections.

If you go to a restaurant and you REALLY want a certain dish but don't see it on the menu, you have the choice of asking if it's available or accepting what they offer you. They may not have the dish, but more often than not they offer some combination of alternatives or even customizations in order to make things work. At the least, all they can say is no to giving you more money, but unless you ask you're guaranteed to not get anything extra. Be prepared to make the business case as to why you are (not why you "think") you are worth the extra investment.
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I definitely need more bang!
  • Options
    vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It doesn't sound like anything is set in stone yet. And, from what you said, you also mentioned low 40's when you were asked. It's not going to hurt to ask for a little more. If all they can offer is 39k and you think that's low, accept it for now and keep looking. It's hard to tell from your post, this sounds like it may be your first IT job. I'd take it just to get my foot in the door.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    At this point in your career, I wouldn't worry so much about the money. 39k is a really strong base salary for Helpdesk level work. Assuming low-mid cost of living state. If you work hard and can prove yourself the money will follow pretty quickly. You may have to jump jobs a few times but that's the way it is. Unless you are completing 50+ tickets a day and or writing powershell / shell scripts all day long I'd say that is a little low or if you had a few years experience under your belt. We pay junior developers that have a comp science degree 45k starting.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1