Options

Linux+ or CCIE Wireless?

LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
The title probably sounds odd, but here's my situation and thoughts: I've been out of IT for a while, and I'm looking for something entry level. I finished my CCENT and I'm currently studying for CCNA-Wireless. I really enjoy wireless technology, and I would like to keep going up the Cisco ladder. On the other hand, I also enjoy Linux, and at this point a job is a job is a job.

I'm going to do one of two things next: 1) Start studying for CCIE-Wireless. I expect about two years of home study before being in a position to take the written exam. Hopefully within that time I find a position that allows me to work with the technology, or 2) Study Linux+ first, and then pick back up on Cisco with the CCIE-Wireless studying.

Option 1 certainly has no immediate payoff. But then I'm not sure if option 2 will either. I've already got two entry level certs, and a third may be helpful in job hunting. But in the end, Cisco wireless is what I want to focus on.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd say find a job first and see where that leads you. In 2+ years time you might not be doing anything to do with wireless.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I'd say find a job first and see where that leads you. In 2+ years time you might not be doing anything to do with wireless.

Right now I'd lay brick walkways. But I won't keep doing that forever. Eventually I'm going to move into wireless, regardless of what else I've done. Just not sure how long it'll take to work my way in.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why are you skipping the CCNP? Also, how much experience do you have in networking? Seeing someone with a CCIE and not much relevant experience would be a big red flag to me.

Linux+ is a good cert to show you know the basics of Linux, but a Red Hat cert is going to be way more marketable.

Honestly, you sound a little confused on what you want to do as far as a career goes. I'd look for stuff you want to do within the next couple years and see what type of certs they require and go that route.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »

Honestly, you sound a little confused on what you want to do as far as a career goes.

Not confused. I want to do wireless. And if I could find a job in it right now, I'd go do it. But until then, I'm somewhat open.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you willing to invest a lot of money and time to obtain a CCIE just to have to explain at that level along with why you have no experience in an interview? I have no cisco experience and get tripped up on some CCNA topics when asked.

I'd strongly suggest staying at associate levels until you get some experience in a particular field. I'd be looking to diversify a bit as I understand wireless can be tough to get into due to the lack of positions. Linux has a lot more demand and Linux+ and/or RHCSA is a good start. Improve your marketability, CCIE or even CCNP with no experience works against that in my opinion. Granted I've read of some getting CCNP before experience and it eventually led to entry network positions that used a little CCNA knowledge and no CCNP knowledge.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe LFCS is a better and now a more well known vendor neuteral certification. It would be great cert to prepare for, if you enjoy linux.
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Are you willing to invest a lot of money and time to obtain a CCIE just to have to explain at that level along with why you have no experience in an interview? I have no cisco experience and get tripped up on some CCNA topics when asked.

I'd strongly suggest staying at associate levels until you get some experience in a particular field. I'd be looking to diversify a bit as I understand wireless can be tough to get into due to the lack of positions. Linux has a lot more demand and Linux+ and/or RHCSA is a good start. Improve your marketability, CCIE or even CCNP with no experience works against that in my opinion. Granted I've read of some getting CCNP before experience and it eventually led to entry network positions that used a little CCNA knowledge and no CCNP knowledge.

I agree with you that the higher level certs without experience don't really work well for anyone. But I can certainly start on some of the theoretical learning now. I fully expect I'd be working with the technology before I actually completed the cert.

So you think Linux+ may help open up some doors in the mean time? That's basically what I'm wondering. I just need to wedge myself back into IT in some shape or form, and then hopefully in time I'll be able to navigate in the direction I want.

Having concrete goals help keep me motivated. So even if I don't know exactly what I may do in IT in the next year or two, it helps me to have things to study with definite outcomes in mind.
  • Options
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    I believe LFCS is a better and now a more well known vendor neuteral certification. It would be great cert to prepare for, if you enjoy linux.

Have not heard of this one. Will take a look.
  • Options
    I've never heard of LFCS but you could be right. On indeed in the Atlanta area there's 1725 linux listings with these hits:

0 LFCS
    0 LPIC
    6 RHCSA
    25 RHCSE

Linux+ brings up every linux opening. Thing about linux certifications is they are a low priority and experience is what really counts. Even with the Red Hat certs being all hands on, which proves a lot more than most cert tests. These results suggest pursuing the red hat tests for best ROI.

Meanwhile CCNA is pretty healthy there, not sure how many are entry level but:

225 CCNA
    43 CCNA wireless

I've heard Atlanta is a pretty tough and underpaid area for IT. I think the most popular and logical first step is A+ MCP\MCSA and get into a support role that hopefully leads to some infrastructure experience. Look for smaller companies to greatly improve your chances of getting infrastructure experience. CCNA and a NOC technician is another entry that's a lot less traveled due to less demand but probably your preferred path if you don't mind shift work and can find an employer.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    Why are you skipping the CCNP?

The nice thing about the CCIE:W is it's such a long term goal. As you stated, and as techfiend said, having higher level certs without experience isn't such a great thing. With the CCIE:W, I could plan two years before even sitting for the written, and then another 18 months before sitting for the practical, putting the earliest possible achievement of my end goal at 3.5 years from now (but more than likely longer since most people fail the first practical attempt). So the idea is that's plenty of time to get my foot in the wireless area of IT before I complete a higher level cert. And at the same time it gives me something I can start working on immediately (and that's motivating to me).
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep in mind there's nothing stopping you from obtaining the CCIE Wireless if you want to get the cert now. If you have the drive and interest go and get it. However, I wouldn't list it on a resume until you had work experience. It is a lot of time and money for something you can't really show someone or use as leverage for a better job.

I'm sort of in the same situation. In my current job, I just do basic LAN switching, no routing at all. My role is not primarily networking, mostly systems. I'm not technically a network guy, I just help out the network guys. I'm working on the CCNP right now, mainly because I'm very interested in it. It can help me where I'm at, but I won't have the real work experience to back up a CCNP level of knowledge.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    OP, I would get your CCNA:RS>CCNA:Wireless, get a job doing wireless and work on your CCNP:Wireless. Once you have that done and have been working in wirleless for a good couple of years, then start on your CCIE. The road to CCIE is a marathon and I feel it will be easier to finish the race if you pace yourself.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I'd do like bpenn said. Get your CCNA Wireless. Go get a job in consulting where all you are going to do is wireless if you enjoy it that greatly.
    [Non consulting wise I have never worked at a company where we had a sole wireless guy.]

Then from there I'd get your CCNP then your CCIE in wireless.
    While yes you can go from NA to IE with dedication and hard work I think the middle ground will help you greatly in achieving the IE a lot.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I highly suggest going with Red Hat Linux certs (RHCSA/RHCE line) over the more vendor-neutral ones like LPIC. Problem is, LPIC does more to test your encyclopedic knowledge of all obscure things Linux rather than check if you have any real-world skills. It's also rarely something employers ask for, when compared to the Red Hat line.

And yeah, don't go for the CCIE right away, even for theoretical knowledge. It's like a guy getting a masters in construction management and expecting to land at least a site manager job when he hasn't worked a single day on a construction site.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You enjoy wireless technology at the level you are at. It doesn't mean you will enjoy seeing how the sausage is made. You should create a broad base of knowledge over a few domains until your career hits a groove. Then you can try to steer it in a direction that is more interesting. When I started out, I was hellbent on learning voice and being a voip engineer. Here I am, and I don't enjoy it at all. I am trying to get into cloud and virtualization now.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Honestly I dont see why you cant do both CCNA W and Linux+. It should be fun to learn linux and wireless at the same time. Go LPIC for linux if you plan on going wireless and leaving any linux jobs within 2 years. Unless your going to be dedicated to a linux position doing red hat support then go that route. But it looks like you just want to pass some time until you eventually get your CCIE wireless.

If wireless is your only focus then concentrate on that because the CCIE is not going to be easy. I would get the CCNA:W then get a junior position with a company to get your foot in the door. You can also learn bits and pieces of linux here and there with online tutorials and videos without getting certified. Get certified in Linux if you plan on having a career in linux.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Alright, I'll back off on the CCIE study idea until I find at least some sort of work and see what's available to me. I failed the CCNA:W exam today anyways (rushed to take the old version since today was the last day to test), so I'm planning on taking the new version in March.

As for Linux, the RHCSA does look appealing, but I just see myself failing that at least once, which means it will cost $800+ minimum. I would rather have it than Linux+, but Linux+ seems more affordable.
  • Options
    I don't know about RHCSA but Linux+ isn't really a walk in the park even if you know Linux. Like LeBroke says it tests a lot of obscure things. If it wasn't required for for my degree I would have quickly stopped studying it. With years of linux desktop experience in the past it came down to either I knew it already or it wasn't going to be helpful in the real world.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Should get my high school diploma or a doctorate guys?"
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    olaHalo that's pretty much what I came here to say.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    "Should get my high school diploma or a doctorate guys?"

More like, "Guys, I haven't taken high school bio yet, but it sounds interesting. I found this PhD program that doesn't ask for a Master's/BSc so I think I could do it. Should I do it?"

I'm all for jumping 10 steps forward, but this is on the extreme case of doing so, IMO.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you guys are being a bit harsh. He clearly wants to start with CCNA W: and wants to continue with the CCIE path, however it looks like he wants to get a quick job and do some linux at first. Seems like he is a bit worried if studying for linux or getting a job doing non wireless activities will side track him towards his CCIE goal. It looks like he is a bit concerned about spending two years focusing on the CCIE and not working as well.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX