Options

Hunt them down or install a new one? Which is better?

nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been doing some small office, home office network installs to make some cash this summer and most people want to share the interent with their kids and they all have Windows 98 using America online dial-up, no problems there.

However when I get there to setup the network I find many times they don't have their network card drivers installed and sometimes even their video drivers.(How can someone use 640x480x16 for years and think it's normal?)

Most of these systems have onboard NIC's and finding drivers for them takes a while 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on if I can find out who made it.(Dell is the worst, they want a customer care number before I can even get to download drivers.)

What I'm asking is this; Is it better to carry around cheap NIC's and install them and charge 10 bucks each or to spend 30 minutes to 2 hours or longer looking for drivers. I charge people between 10-15 dollars an hour for my work, even if that includes using their dial-up AOL to find drivers for there network adapters and video cards, which are much easier to find drivers for. I don't bother anymore asking if their hardware is installed because most people don't even know what a driver is.

I'm leaning towards using new cards because it's cheaper and faster for both the customer and myself, Agree or disagree? Anyone have this problem too?

Comments

• Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Keep a couple with you, and just ask the customer. Explain the situation.

Whats the worst they can say? no.. ok then spend 2 hours on a nic install and make 30 bucks.

pandimus
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    30 bucks.. wow your cheap.. 2 hours of my time is about 100 bucks.

lol..
  • Options
    nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am only a student with a few certifications, not yet a professional. Someday I can charge the big bucks, but not yet.

Going to go order up some cards, cables, and maybe a tool set. So I'll be better prepared for my next SOHO job.

You're right, just ask what they would prefer and if they want me to get drivers more cash for me. Many times I don't have a set rate just given a job and charge a flat fee no matter how long it takes. In that case going to do whichever is cheaper for me.

Ok, thanks.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Anytime I am out and about and I see cheap NICs I pick up a few. I would take the quickest route. If the drivers are on hand go ahead and install the current one, otherwise break out a new one.

$30 is good for an hour of my time, btw.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What you should do is take note of the MoBo NIC drivers. From experience most onboard NICs are fairly generic and I have one floppy that covers just about all I ever need. Of course a search of http://www.driverguide.com/ usually turns up those I don't have on hand.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    install a new one than hunt them down.. icon_eek.gif
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn