Options

C173 Scripting and Programming - Foundations thread

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
OK so I started this course a couple of weeks ago and am a bit frustrated by the Udacity course material. I looked through some of the quizlet terms and there doesn't seem to be much more than defining operators, booleans, functions, classes, etc.

I get most of the terms as I have played with Python on and off for about a year now, but there are a few things I'd like to improve myself upon, mainly reading and understanding certain code syntax before a proceed to the pre-assessment.

What is, based on your experience with this course, the best material you have found helped you the most, whether it be on WGU's page or external? I like the code academy stuff, but it seems a bit easy for me. At least a good amount of it.
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• Options
    Pulled out my "Learn Python the Hard Way" book as that one has never failed me.

Emailed the course mentor for a study guide that was recommended over the Reddit forums.

Powering through this Lynda stuff, while balancing it out with some hands on.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pulled out my "Learn Python the Hard Way" book as that one has never failed me.

Emailed the course mentor for a study guide that was recommended over the Reddit forums.

Powering through this Lynda stuff, while balancing it out with some hands on.

Sounds like you will be fine.

I just used the included materials. Don't get too hung up on the udacity challenges. It's good to understand but more intensive than you need to get through the course.
  • Options
    I just used the included materials. Don't get too hung up on the udacity challenges. It's good to understand but more intensive than you need to get through the course.

Sounds like a plan.

Well, this week entailed a lot of study into classes, as most of this material seemed somewhat redundant to what I had done previously, but more variety in the structure of the code, which is always good for the observe and learn method.

Classes study included:
    -Watching the Lynda videos on them
    -Doing the classes exercises in codecademy
    -Taking notes about classes terminology while going along (Inheritance, is-a, has-a, objects and methods)
    -Reading the "Learning python the hard way"'s approach to OOP, classes explanation
    -Using safari books online to go through "Python Crash Course"'s explanation of the material.

I hope to take the preassessment sometime next week. At least for a first attempt.

Lastly, I have been going to Github and attempting to break down some code examples, namely Kirk Byers' stuff since he is big on network automation, although my Ansible syntax knowledge is a bit brief.

Oh yes, as well as making physical flash cards from the cmweb's quizlet flash cards for the course
  • Options
    Completed first preassessment with an 86%. Pretty confident in myself, but requested and approved for a second attempt on preassessment. I have also scheduled the test for this Saturday, so fingers crossed.

Progress:

-Learned about classes and how __init__ is an important part of it.
    -Learned about inheritance and how subclasses can inherit attributes and behaviors of base classes
    -FINALLY learned about the difference between the print and return statements in a function. Here is an excellent example I found:

def isEven(n):
    if (n % 2 == 0):
    return True
    else:
    return False

def isOdd(n):
    if (n % 2 == 1):
    print(True)
    else:
    print(False)

def inCenter(n):
    if (n > 100):
    return True
    else:
    return False

def seatLocation(n):
    if isOdd(n) and not inCenter(n):
    return "Left"
    elif inCenter(n):
    return "Center"
    else:
    return "Right"

In the last function, seatLocation, if you pass in print("String") instead of return and then try to run the function, you will recieve an error. Although I put the print statements in using python 3 syntax, they work in python 2.7 and that is the version I'm using.
    -Learned a bit more about dictionaries and how they tend to be the fastest information to call using a reference or built-in hash function
    -Went over the quizlet questions being in the range of 80-100% right with the test they give you. Moreso 90% plus the last couple of days.

Needs Review:
    -
    Recursive Definitions
    -
    UML/Class Diagrams
  • Options
    fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're kicking butt man! Keep it up! I have both scripting and programming courses and both data management courses slated for next term (March 2016). I'm knocking out Principles of Mgmt, Project+, and possibly Business of IT-Applications before first term ends. I'm waiting on Critical Thinking and Logic to be revised and I don't anticipate Web Fundamentals being too bad. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope your closing out the year strong and you had/have a Happy Holidays!
  • Options
    fjhesq wrote: »
    You're kicking butt man! Keep it up! I have both scripting and programming courses and both data management courses slated for next term (March 2016). I'm knocking out Principles of Mgmt, Project+, and possibly Business of IT-Applications before first term ends. I'm waiting on Critical Thinking and Logic to be revised and I don't anticipate Web Fundamentals being too bad. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope your closing out the year strong and you had/have a Happy Holidays!

Awesome man! Keep the steam rolling!

Took the test on Saturday and passed with an 81. I would say Udacity was killer, but use the study guide provided in the "Review" section of each lesson. Do the review questions, as I will guarantee those will help you. Even if you get the questions wrong, the answers are automatically sent to you when you submit it.

Outside of the main course material, I highly recommend "Learn Python the Hard Way" and/or "Python Crash Course". In addition, Edx has an introductory computer science course for python. That instructor was my favorite of all.