Options

One Company - Multiple openings - Application etiquette ?

bradl3yCbradl3yC Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
If you find a company that you would love to work for, what is the proper way to handle showing an interest in multiple openings within that organization? All of which are within IT, but vary in requirements / skill level.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As someone that is doing this now (after being here ~3 months), I'd recommend going to your direct manager. Let him know your goals in the company and how best you can achieve them. That way you're not blindsiding him or going behind his back. Try to get the goals documented somehow then when you meet him you can go back and say, "Hey I did x and x as you said, what can we do now?". If he gets difficult or is dismissive about any of this then I'd just make note of it, look at the job description, and once you meet the reqs, apply for it.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    As someone that is doing this now (after being here ~3 months), I'd recommend going to your direct manager. Let him know your goals in the company and how best you can achieve them. That way you're not blindsiding him or going behind his back. Try to get the goals documented somehow then when you meet him you can go back and say, "Hey I did x and x as you said, what can we do now?". If he gets difficult or is dismissive about any of this then I'd just make note of it, look at the job description, and once you meet the reqs, apply for it.

I do not currently work for this company. I am wanting to work for this company.
  • Options
    So I'm not sure what you're asking then. Are you saying you're not sure which job to apply for within that company? Or are you asking if you should let them know in the interview about future positions?
  • Options
    There is a company I am interested in working for. They're a large company and have multiple openings within their IT department. Do I apply for each one individually? Or is there some other vehicle for expressing interest in those other open positions?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend bring up the fact that you are interested in multiple positions to the HR department. It isn't usually a problem to find their email address (hr@blahblah.blah), so shoot off an email to them or call them (if the number is publicly available).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    I agree with Stryder. They'll give you the best advice.
  • Options
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bradl3yC wrote: »
    If you find a company that you would love to work for, what is the proper way to handle showing an interest in multiple openings within that organization? All of which are within IT, but vary in requirements / skill level.

Do you have experience and/or training in IT now? Are you currently working? If you have little to no experience, I would shoot for the lowest level IT job I could to get my foot in the door. Once your working there, you could apply for higher level positions. I don't agree with the shotgun approach, where you apply for everything and hope you get one of them. Chances are unless it's a massive IT organization the same manager will be reviewing all the applications that pass HR. Unless you have specialized experience, once they reject your resume, they are not going to look at it again for another position.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Apply to each job as if it were offered by a different company. Adjust your resume and cover letter to let them know what skills you have that meet that position. You never know the inner workings of the company. It may be different HR and hiring managers involved and one may not know about the other. As long as your skills meet at least some of the requirements there is no harm in applying each time a position comes up.