Options

Can I get a jobg with my poor experience ?

jagehundjagehund Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, If i grab a CCNA cert can I get a real network job? I mean I've been working with cisco routers for 6 years now.
My job is to ugrade IOS version on many different cisco routers/switches and sometimes we configure the startup-config through CLI. But that is very basic config like passwords, hostname, vlans interface and ip address, nothing more. Thats all I'm configuering to these routers/switches. After the configuration we ship these devices to end-costumers.

The experience I have, even if it isnt something advanced, does It mean that I've have cisco experience, or do I have to be in the real field and so on? Do you think that with my experience and a CCNA can get a real networking job on the field?

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, it is entirely possible. Your experience isn't worthless. A CCNA is pretty significant. You might have to still start near entry level, but if you do well, I am sure you could have a career in networking.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,049 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can get an entry networking gig withOUT the ccna; so i definitly think you can do it WITH one :]

Do you have actual knowledge in networking THEORY?
    that's the better question.

If Not, go Learn it :]

I usually Roll-my-eyes at Comptia... but their Network+ (n10-005) content was actually worthwhile.
    Go subscribe to Professor Messer and get that Knowledge.

from there, either
    A)
    Study for the exam, and get the network+ certification. I think that will guarantee that you find something.
    Using Prof Messer, it took me 10 weeks (start to finish), and i went at a sloow pace.

or B)
    Don't take the Exam. Instead, go straight for the ICND1 & 2 (for your ccna).

Don't doubt yourself.... enjoy the journey :]
  • Options
    jagehundjagehund Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your answers. I've started studing for the ICND1 and hopefully i'll take that cert in 2 months, and than go for the icnd2
  • Options
    MatroMatro Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that if you've already a basic experience on cisco routers, a CCNA could improve your skills and boost your career, so.. hold on, study hard, and as volfkhat said, don't doubt yourself!

I've had my CCNA in June 2014, today I'm in a good networking job! I hope to be a CCNP soon icon_wink.gif
    Actually: CCNA - Palo Alto ACE