Options

number of exams for MCSA/MCSE? etc.

tsaitsai Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am studying to take MCSA/MCSE. I was wondering how many exams these certificates have, I've did some research and its never a solid answer. I believe MCSA is between 2-5 exams and MCSE, 7, or unless if MCSA is completed 3-4? If someone can give me a straight and specific answer, would be most helpful. This is my first step in the educational direction of IT, I have a year of data center under my belt. Will getting these certificates help me in getting me a job?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The last time I looked at certs that interested me, the MCSA desktop was 2, the rest were 3. MCSE was 2 additional tests.

They're very marketable certs. They won't guarantee a job but they'll likely set you apart from the competition esp MCSE.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It depends on the MCSA and MCSE. All of the MCSEs are MCSA + 2 exams. That is to say, you complete an MCSA (1-3 exams) and then do 2 more exams to attain MCSE. There is in some cases a possibility to take other paths, but I am not aware of any path which would actually decrease the number of exams needed.

The Windows Server MCSAs are 3 exams. They lead to MCSE in Server Infrastructure, Private Cloud and Desktop Infrastructure. The Desktop Infrastructure is being retired soon, effectively replaced by MCSE Enterprise Devices and Apps (below).

The SQL Server MCSAs are also 3 exams. They lead to MCSE in Business Intelligence or Data Platform.

The Office 365 MCSA is 2 exams. This can lead to MCSEs in Messaging, Communication and Sharepoint.

The Windows 8 MCSA is 2 exams and the Windows 10 MCSA is 1 exam. This can lead to the MCSE Enterprise Devices and Apps

Then there is the oddity of the MCSA Linux on Azure, which you can add two exams to to get the MCSD Azure Solutions Architect. This is an oddity because the MCSA Linux on Azure is 1 MS exam and 1 Linux Foundation exam, and the MCSD is actually 3 exams, one of which is the same exam needed for MCSA Linux on Azure. It is also an MCSD since for whatever reason, MS considers Azure part of its developer track. You don't actually need the MCSA to get the MCSD, but hey, why not?

So, based on your experience, go for one of the MCSAs, likely the MCSA Server 2012 or Server 2008. Then consider your options for MCSE. If you are doing lots of Hyper-V and managing through System Center, then Private Cloud is a good choice. If it's a lot more traditional enterprise architecture, then the Server Infrastructure is a good choice.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM