Options

Trouble choosing which 1st Job should I choose?

rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all, I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I am currently a student and have 2 job offers. Can you guys give input on which job is better fit for my first job. For my specialization I am unsure.
Here are my choices;

Job 1: low voltage installer for Super Bowl 50. Basically pulling cable. School internship teacher says there are tons of opportunity but not sure if a low voltage installer is a good career into IT. Pay is 12.00. Schedule is 8-5

Job 2: Rack Tester for a company name Synexx. Racking servers, moniter scripts, testing racks. Shift is grave yard. Pay is 14.50.
WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Job 2. You'll be running cable, but with the added benefit of those extra duties. The first job sounds like a temp gig and lets face it no one only installs cables their entire career (except for electricians).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Job 2. You'll be running cable, but with the added benefit of those extra duties. The first job sounds like a temp gig and lets face it no one only installs cables their entire career (except for electricians).

This. Also, working in a NOC for a year or two working (if you can put up with the graveyard shifts) is totally worth it and will really help you start your IT career.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Second one. I chose NOC over desktop support and didn't look back since. You can learn so much, it's insane.. if you actually put in the effort to do so.
  • Options
    rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys I have a question? Is Job number 2 essentially a NOC position?? Sorry guys If I'm asking too much questions. Thanks guys!
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • Options
    jrcarr2jrcarr2 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It doesn't sound like a NOC position. A NOC remotely monitors network issues, typically is a central management entity for troubleshooting/repair.

This seems like more of a physical technician job. Installing or testing equipment, which makes sense as Synexx' core business is supply chain.

Job #2 is likely to have more growth opportunities or at the least able to net you more entry level experience. The next step may be looking at a NOC position after getting a CCENT/CCNA.
  • Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read "monitoring scripts" and "racking servers" and made the assumption we're talking about a NOC position. My apologies if this caused any confusion.

Upon rereading this, it seems to some suggest some sort of QA position, but the description is a little vague. Nonetheless, it still seems like the better job.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would probably go with option 2, since it seems like a more long term type of thing. Also, seems like you'll learn more than just pulling cables and terminating them.