Options

At crossroads in career, desperate for solid advice. Please.

throwawayaccont1throwawayaccont1 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
TL;DR I want to make more money and shift my specialization, but I'm afraid to leave my comfy easy job. Considering Military, considering quitting my job. Please help.

I apologize ahead of time if this gets kind of long, I will try to keep it as simple as possible and include all variables.

Background: I just turned 31 and I've been working in IT since 2007. I make a comfortable $73k working primary in a Windows Client/Server environment. I am the administrator of SCCM (~1000 client environment) and joint-admin for Active Directory and a bunch of other Windows Server technologies. I have my B.S. in IT as well as about 10 certifications, including CISSP, CCNA, some MCTS and a bunch of CompTIAs.

The problem I'm facing is, due to the nature of state government, I can't really get more pay at my job unless I get into management. I am not really interested in managing people, as I love the technology.

I want to make $115k+, but I'm not really sure how to go about doing it. I really love Cisco/networking and would like to become a badass Network Engineer, but again, I'm not really sure of the best way to do it.

These are some things swirling around in my head:

• Most highly paid IT professionals that I've come across have a security clearance and military experience.
  • Maybe I should join the Air National Guard as a 3d1x2 and get a Top Secret Clearance and extra experience on the side.
  • But maybe I won't get enough experience just in the Guard, maybe I should straight up join the active Air Force and just bust my ass for 4 years and get as much experience as I can. I could finish my CCNP before I even enter, and start on my CCIE during my enlistment. Get out, finish my CCIE. The age-limit is now 39 after all, so this is feasible.
  • But wait...if I join the Active Duty Air Force, my salary will drop to less than $30k/yr for four years...is that worth it?
  • Do I really need a Security Clearance? Maybe not, but it sure would be helpful.
  • Maybe I should just quit my stable job and get an entry level job at a NOC. But at this point, I might as well just join the Active Duty Air Force because I will be getting similar pay but with better experience and a TS Clearance.
I'm so sorry for this mess of thoughts, but God bless you if you read it all. If anyone can understand where I'm coming from, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if anything was unclear or you have more questions, please ask away.

Comments

• Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have lots of Windows experience, I would try to leverage that. Try to get into the private sector. Look for a consultancy that is a Microsoft and Cisco partner. You may be able to make the jump into networking from within there, but you will most likely have to sell yourself based on your server skills.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I would not suggest joining the military just for those reasons. You don't need a clearance to be successful and there will be lots of other things to deal with. This isn't a regular 9-5 we're talking here.

Your best bet is to find a new position that has a mix of systems and networking responsibilities. That way you can leverage what you know while gaining the experience you want and not starting from the bottom (and the bottom tier salary that comes with it). From there you have some experience to add to the resume and can look into the networking roles.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Where do people keep getting these unrealistic expectations about making more money just because they have a security clearance?

You may have more opportunities available to you having a clearance, but that doesn't mean you'll make more money. Joining the military as a reservist can help you with networking opportunities which in my experience have been the best way to go about finding the job you want. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and think because you have a clearance you'll all of the sudden make more money.

On a side note, instead of straight up management have you thought about project management? Having a technical background would be super beneficial if you decided to go that route and I know PMs make a lot more money than the techies/vendors they work with.
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    • But wait...if I join the Active Duty Air Force, my salary will drop to less than $30k/yr for four years...is that worth it?
    I'm so sorry for this mess of thoughts, but God bless you if you read it all. If anyone can understand where I'm coming from, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if anything was unclear or you have more questions, please ask away.

Yes you will make 30k/yr... but that is base pay. You will be provided with housing and meals which depending on where you are stationed could equate to anything from 1000-4000 a month. You will also have tricare, which is healthcare you dont have to pay for and covers 100% of everything. If you are married you will recieve BAH in leu of the barracks which will again be anywhere from 1000-4000 depending on where you are stationed. You will also get the GI Bill so you would effectively be able to go to school for 36 months for free while collecting an additional allowance that is dependent on location.

If the pay is the only thing scaring you away from the Military, do a little research the benefits will quickly add up and probably equate to a more comfortable living than you currently have.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Robertf969 wrote: »
    If the pay is the only thing scaring you away from the Military, do a little research the benefits will quickly add up and probably equate to a more comfortable living than you currently have.

I think for most people, military is what's scaring people away from the military. I.e. you need to be physically fit, healthy (including can't get colds and stuff), be comfortable with at least defending yourself even if you're IT (nothing is ever guaranteed), and be comfortable being stationed anywhere, including potentially a tent in Afghanistan, or an Igloo in Alaska.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't join the military. The military is great, but this is not a good reason to join, and frankly, there's a good chance they won't take you, particularly in AF, as since economy got worse, they've been able to pick and choose.

With CISSP and SCCM experience, tehre's no reason you can't make a very comfortable paycheck out there in the civilian world with no clearance. If you're not happy with your current pay/growth opportunities, find a new job. Don't join the military thinking a security clearance will be some panacea to all your problems and your ticket to a huge paycheck. I've had mine and not. I make more now without my clearance than I did previously with it.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your CCNP will definitely help you out in being considered for higher level positions if networking is your end goal. You have great experience so leverage those skills well when you are looking at new roles. I would also suggest maybe putting up your resume for us to review it might help out in making sure your resume looks fantastic to potential future employers. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think breaking $100k is your first goal. Jumping from where you are to where you want to be doesn't often happen in a single job move event. You need to find something that gets you in that ballpark, first. If you are a top performer at a good company, you might be able to get raises that get you that final amount within a couple of years. However, thinking strategically, you are likely going to need a two job move to get there within 2-3 years; move ASAP into a position the makes the most ground, then move again in 2-3 years to get the last bit.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    7of97of9 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just a question from someone who's been there...

Do you think you'd be happy in a job that makes you miserable as long as you met your salary goal? Are you sure the $$ should be your goal or maybe it should be more a specific role/career or employer?

And yeah, I'd definitely ditto the advice NOT to join the military if it's just to get a security clearance or certs. Once you sign up, nothing is guaranteed and they'll put you where you make them most use to them, not necessarily somewhere that fits best with your goals.
    Working on Security+ study, then going back to re-do my Cisco Certs, in between dodging moose and riding my Harley
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With CISSP and SCCM exp I wonder how you manage not to get six figures. I make twice as you with my CISSP and a knowledge of SCCM for the purpose of security patch management in civilian sector with no security clearance. And, actually, I'm heading to get more.

Judging from this I'd say that your problem with getting paid isn't technical as you seem to be fit technically. I think it is more of overall confidence and cockiness. Willingness to move for right opportunity, willingness to accept risks, making bold statements and backing them up by working your ass off and getting things done.
  • Options
    andSoandSo Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't join the military for your reasons. But if you did join, you'll want to do so as an officer (you'll break six figures). If you want to earn six figures in less than 10 years, roll up your sleeves, obtain a business-related degree, and move into management. I've met a handful of folks who share your sentiment about staying in a technical career path. But don't be upset when your new boss is some hard-charging bloke with an MBA or related degree with less experience and a salary nearly 1.2x your own.
  • Options
    thaiguy314thaiguy314 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As an Army Signal Officer, I wouldn't recommend the military for what you're trying to achieve. At best, like some people said, join the reserves. Do the military part-time, use them to get free vouchers for upper level certifications you wouldn't want to spend money on yourself like CISSP, CCNA, etc. With a clearance, the contractor side is flooded with secret clearances (I would know) so it wouldn't separate you much from the pack plus they have to be renewed every so often. On top of that, depending on your job, you most likely won't qualify for a Top Secret as they're expensive for the unit and it's resources they're not going to spend if they don't have to. On the Army side, the only people that have TS clearances are intel people, I don't know many IT guy in the Army with TS, we all have secret.

For guys like me who didn't have a foundation in IT, the military was great. It got me to where I am and I'm thankful. For a guy like you, I wouldn't say it's a waste of time but your 4 years would be better spent getting a degree, higher level certs or maybe look in other areas of the country where pay for your same position might be significantly higher.
    Certs: CISSP, CEH, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As an IT professional who is also in a tailspin career wise I can say at least you're in better shape than me. You have a good background and by spreading your wings into networking, you can inch yourself closer to the 100k+ range but it will not happen over night.
    Study hard and I'm sure you'll make it
    Good luck
    I'm off to post my own message about the mess that is my career.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's your problem, you mentioned "due to the nature of state government". :) I kid, I kid. I'm not sure which state (don't need to know really) but with many states facing budget issues it may be a waiting game to move up the ranks right now even if you had the clearance.

I'm kind of in the same boat...I'm 33 at $80k. It's not that I feel I have to make more, but I'm capped in both pay and skills needed where I am (mainly due to my geography) and I don't like the idea of hitting a plateau already. I'm starting my master's in IT Management next month in an effort to be more tasty to larger companies in larger areas that have taller ladders to climb and thusly more pay.

I don't know about all the branches, but unless you get a waiver you're probably too old to join and go through OCS (become an officer), and you don't want to enlist with your education and background. There are (or maybe were) ways of getting a clearance without joining the military, but I'm not sure how in your case. My uncle got his clearance when he started working for Vought Aircraft (now Triumph I think) as an engineer on military aerospace projects and then did various things of that nature for decades without ever once stepping into a recruiter's office.
  • Options
    throwawayaccont1throwawayaccont1 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the late reply. Thank you everyone for kindly providing advice. I have taken it all to heart. I have decided against joining the military and will continue to develop my networking skills and go from there. God Bless (and thanks for the rep even though this is a throwaway, whoever did that)
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Problem is at 31 the air force may not take you. It is tough going to get into the air force. I know joining the military sounds like an easy thing, but it is not as easy anymore. The air force has downsized so much they are putting people out early and pushing them to the Air Force Reserve units. I know I was really excited to transfer from the Army Guard which had almost nothing in tech to the Air Force Reserve. I was placed in an overage slot since most of the technical slots are so full. After 6 months with no other openings I had transfer back to the Army Guard because I wanted to stay in. They gave me an option of taking a slot in supply or some other type of work along those lines. If I would not do that they could not keep me in my slot.

Let me ask you this have you thought about a SOC or SNOC environment. Sounds like a SNOC environment might be a good fit for you. If you live in DC I might know of some companies hiring out there that you might be interested in just shoot me a message. I live in Dallas TX, but I talk with recruiters a lot and know a lot of them especially on the east coast.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    First of all, if you want to make more money...joining the Military is a terrible idea. You can find the pay scales online but enlisted will be pennies to what you make now (literally like $20-30k as active), and if you are able to make officer you will still make less and the idea is TO BE A MANAGER (not to mention it is unbelievably competitive). Understand what you would be signing up for too...for reserves it's not just one weekend per month...you will get deployed every so often (not as frequent probably as active...but you will get activated), basic training and any additional training will take a decent amount of time that you cannot be at work during, and you have to commit for a period of time. If you happen to join, I would try to get a job with a contractor or something government more in line with what you want because they will be the most accepting of the situation. Understand your clearance level depends on your job and you might not get your first pick...that would suck to end up far away from what you want to do.

Many private companies pay well and do not require you to have a clearance so keep that in mind. Since you work in the government, obviously that is why you only run across people with military experience but there are plenty of good paying jobs for both out there.

Last, recognize that on any job vertical that there are ceilings, which force you to switch to management or flatline your salary.