Options

Military- Wanting to be network engineer. Should i work in Network Security or Server

nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
So as i've read the only way to land a job in network engineering is by starting off the bottom which i currently am at the moment at my job for the Navy(help desk technician) But i was wondering if i was somehow able to get myself moved into the Network Security team on my ship , would that look better when i get out and apply for network engineering jobs? The network security team on my ship basically just does audits and analyze from my understanding . Thats also a big IF . Not really sure if my division would let me go/trade me in for someone in the Network Security division , but i wanted to know if its even worth trying since my ultimate goal is being a Network Engineer(my Ship does not have this position. Most of out network engineering jobs is done by civilian contractors who come on aboard)

another option is to become a System Administrator. We use Linux for our Systems and to be honest i really do not enjoy it lol. Ive been getting some brief training our systems the last 2 days and yesterday they started showing me the database center stuff . Anyways im willing to learn it as long as it'd put me closer to becoming Network Engineer. Im also currently studying for the CCENT/CCNA test and plan on messing with a couple real routers/switches instead of simulations.

So what do you guys think? Should i make an effort on becoming a network security guy or system administrator?

extra details: we've also just added VMware to our tools.. Don't know how much this would help me on landing a job. Still fairly new to this.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your ultimate goal is to be a Network Engineer, start backwards planning. It's something they teach us at a very young age in the military.

By your standards, what is a network engineer capable of or what should they be able to do? What does the industry require of them? Once you have your answers there, you start laying your foundation to eventually arrive at your end point. Don't get so mixed up in should I do a little of this or a little of that. Create short term, mid term, and long term goals and make sure they all align. Good luck.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    In the Air Force there is the option to "cross-train" or swap jobs. I assume you have that ability in the Navy? If you want to go into networking on your ship, find out exactly what those guys are doing and if they like it. Also, what clearance do you have? I know most networking gigs in the military have a good chance of getting a TS clearance so if you dont have that then that is another motivator.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Both advanex1 and bpenn have given some excellent advice. The next time one of the civilian network engineers comes aboard, try to spend some time with him/her. Ask how that person got to the position they currently hold. That information should be fairly priceless. Ask if you can shadow them on your time off, limited as that typically is when you are underway.

Having experience is crucial to getting a good job on the outside, but so are certifications and a degree. I see that you are working on your CCENT/CCNA, which is a great next step. Don't get distracted by Linux, VMware, or Network Security if your ultimate goal is network engineer. Remain focused and keep plugging away at the Cisco certs, then, once you are finished with your CCNA, consider getting Juniper certified.

As for your question about VMware, yes, having experience with VMware products will make you more marketable. After your CCNA is complete, you can pursue their VCP-NV (network virtualization) certification, which opens up SDN and the possibility of additional VMware certs without the traditional VMware IT Academy class requirement. If you do plan to pursue VMware (which might be a great complement to your networking education, btw), Stanly CC offers an accredited VMware IT Academy class that is under $200. I wouldn't pursue the VMware certs until after you have attained your CCNA...it is important, in my opinion, for you to stay on track with that before moving on to any other certification track.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    always great advice from you . will keep this in mind.