Protocals?

JakeCourtneyJakeCourtney Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
How well do we have to know the protocals? I know we should probably know TCP/IP strongly. Just how well do we have to know them, just know generaly what each part of the suite does?

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You will find a detailed list of what you need to know here.

http://www.comptia.org/certification/Network/objectives.aspx?sent=1

Click on the link that says CompTIA Network+ 2005 Objectives. Open/Save this pdf and print it out.
  • JakeCourtneyJakeCourtney Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know. This networking stuff just isn't sinking in as much as the A+ information did. Networking is more abstract. I read the material and it's hard to peice together.
  • angry_monkey_showangry_monkey_show Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I prefer the Net+ over the A+ software portion. But we'll see when I take the exam...

As for protocols, the practice tests I've been taking (courseprep, certblaster, free web based) all focus on protocols more than I expected.

It seems that they're mainly focused on TCP/IP suite, secure protocols (SSL, PPP, PPTP, etc.) IPX/SPX. So I would say be "familiar" with them.
  • JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    The Network+ allows for such a wide passing margin because of the multitude of objectives you must know for the exam. If you have zero experience in networking, I would recommend not attempting this exam as it could be overwhelming, at any rate, don't take it lightly if you lack real experience. Even though CompTIA exams are entry-level exams, the Network+ can be a mind boggler to the unfamiliar, and very basic to the experienced.

As for protocols on the exam. You should be very familiar with TCP/IP when attempting this exam because the majority of troubleshooting questions deal directly with TCP/IP networks. If you don't know TCP/IP, the troubleshooting questions will reveal this for you.

Even though it's vendor neutral, I encountered a good number of questions dealing with AppleTalk, Appleshare IP, UNIX and Mac OS X platform questions. And even questions regarding security protocols on these platforms.

Some will argue this viewpoint, but I feel that the A+ and Network+ are in completely separate leagues, although the testing experience is the same because of the CompTIA method, you can't rely on passing the A+ as a guarantee for the Net+ exam.

Best of luck!
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    For Net+, be sure to check out the Technotes available from this site. IMO, you could pass using just those. I still recco more than just that obviously, but they are written well, and should help quite a bit. I also used Mike Myers books for my studies.
    i remain, he who remains to be....