Options

Help deciding between two positions guys!

and1play5and1play5 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

Just got my ccna a few weeks back and have been applying like a mad man. I'm being brought in for two interviews next week.
Position 1:A network engineer position at a university, mainly a cisco shop but they are in the midst of transitioning to juniper equipment. (I used to work here a few years back as a system admin but at a different campus) $55k.

Position 2: A junior linux/devops engineer at a startup. A lot of Red Hat Linux and AWS. $50k.

I haven't had any "real" networking experience as far as using routers and switches and would def like to get my feet wet in that realm, but I also feel this linux/devops opportunity could be big for me down the line.
The university job would require me driving, whereas the startup job would consist of taking the train to the city. As someone who's just starting out, what do you guys think? I'm also a student at wgu IT-Sec and will be finishing by may.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd go the start up personally. Dev ops skills are great to get right now and start up work culture in the city is nice and full of perks. Keep in mind the stability factor of course. Especially if you have family.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd go with the startup as well. You end up doing a lot of different things at a startup.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Location NJ/NYC? Start up. No question. Even if it fails take that experience and go double your salary.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!! My gut is def leaning towards the startup. No kids or anything so I'm just devoted to my career and working out. I'll prepping very hard this week and I hope to get that startup job.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Well, then go at it with the startup! Congrats!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey man , where'd you apply for your jobs? and hows ur resume looking? im in the NJ/NY area as well (well will be soon , im in the military still .)
  • Options
    Got the startup position, gonna be honing my skills heavy, will also probably get my aws and rhcsa/rhce certs also
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well done .. wise choiceicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool. Startup, red hat Linux, aws... You could potentially at least double your salary by the end of the year with those on your resume, just don't forget your worth.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great choice if it interests you! DevOps demand exceeds the supply currently and those with experience are some of the highest paid positions out there, it's an area on the upswing. On the other hand I think network engineering may lose some demand due to SDN and I heard Cisco is developing intelligent hardware that can optimally setup, along with touchscreen interfaces. Both could really disrupt the field.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another vote for the startup. Sounds like a good opportunity, especially since your gut has you leaning that way.