Options

HR says no / Hiring manager says yes

kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
So this didn't happen to me but my coworker.

Recruiter hit me up with a job and I wasn't interested but my coworker was as it was much closer to home.

It was CtoH but he asked if they would do perm. They said yes but it has to go to HR now.

The hiring manager for the department says he wants to interview in person but HR says no because he has no degree.

Job posting didn't say a degree was required and he has 6 years experience in what they are asking for.

What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nothing you can do. That's between the hiring manager and HR. All you can do is make it clear to the hiring manager that you are interested, and let him work out the requirements for the position with his HR department.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Unfortunately, that's life.

However, if it is important to the person, I wouldn't let the brick wall in front of him/her stop them. Go around, over or through to reach the goal. Find out if 'working' on a degree will matter? Do certs help? ect... do anything possible (and professional) to get a face-to-face or even a phone call regarding the situation and attempt to sell yourself. Lower starting pay, less benefits or such with full benefits and pay restored after 'x' goal is achieved or satisfaction of job requirements (though that is a grey area so the finalization of a degree is more tangible). HR is likely required to hold to the requirements because they do not wish to be sued by any others who were previously disallowed for similar lack of requirements.

Ask questions, and continue to promote skills and desire to obtain additional skills.

Good luck.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You cannot hire without HR and if they put the halt on something...it is what it is. Hiring managers can jump up and down all they want but in the end it probably won't work...unless there is an unbelievable reason.

Usually the degree issue is a set in stone policy and is probably written into the job descriptions and salary grades.
  • Options
    I told him basically what you all said. The hiring manager will need to talk to HR and he can even bring up they put no degree requirement when the job was posted.

Otherwise it isn't the last company in the area and he has a job so he can take his time looking for a new one.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    See, this is one of those exact situations that happen and folks like to mention that you can get by without a degree. Sure you can, but be prepared for he situations. If he has experience, does he have certs? Does he have any college credit in his back pocket? He could enroll in a program and request that they make his degree completion a requirement within a certain window of time after his hiring? I don't want to presume anything, but WGU would be a good bet if he already has some of the requisite certs.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    See, this is one of those exact situations that happen and folks like to mention that you can get by without a degree. Sure you can, but be prepared for he situations. If he has experience, does he have certs? Does he have any college credit in his back pocket? He could enroll in a program and request that they make his degree completion a requirement within a certain window of time after his hiring? I don't want to presume anything, but WGU would be a good bet if he already has some of the requisite certs.

Multiple certifications held for some time all in networking.
    College credit some (not sure how long ago the classes were as he is many years my elder)
    I thought the same thing as you about the degree and did bring up WGU to him as well on Thursday. We will see what he does.