Options

Filling out I9 form - Your Feedback.

I have been filling out the I9 since it came out, so I feel I know as much as I can about it. With that being said, here is what has happened recently -

I am grabbing a new contract with a major tech company (which I wont name at this time) to help with a migration at an Investment Bank here in NYC. So while filling out all my usual paperwork, the I9 comes up. I do my usual routine - fill out page 1 and send them copies of the 2 forms of ID they need to certify on Page 2.

However, I get an email back stating I need to fill out page 2 and have someone certify for me and send back. Of course I am confused since every time I have filled this form out in years past, HR does this. As a matter a fact, it clearly states that only the Employer can Certify.

So I go back and stated the obvious.

They come back to me and say I have to have someone "not related to me" certify. But they partially fill out page 2 with their company address!

Here is where it gets strange - I told them this seems illegal or at least "out of guidelines" and they state this is how they always do it. Really?

I remind them, "Well, you are not related to me... and you are the HR of the company hiring me. So why can't you certify?"

In the end , they say.. it's ok. You can have someone you trust fill out page 2. Like even my girlfriend!

So.... for all of you in the forum... what is your feedback on this? Is this normal? (I say not at all)

Maybe I am used to the way I have gone through this process for 10 years and things have changed? But I think not.
"Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.