Options

eReader tablets?

2»

Comments

• Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Moose - I suppose.. I'd probably get tired of drawing stick figures all day :)
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    This is a stupid question that I could most likely Google but do the Kindle Fires come with Color by default or do I have to buy a non B&W one?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Kindle Fire are all color. You have to get a regular Kindle to get the non-color
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
    Kindle Fire are all color. You have to get a regular Kindle to get the non-color

Is the Kindle Fire tough on the eyes?
  • Options
    Not for me. The resolution is pretty high (2560x1600) and I don't tend to suffer from eye strain as much as most people. That being said, its still a lot easier to read off my Kindle for long periods of time vs my computer monitors.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    agree with Iris, I never have a problem reading books in the Kindle app on my Kindle Fire
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    My wife does a lot of reading on her Kindle. She liked the Kindle keyboard version while working on her MA. I go her a Kindle Paperwhite and she likes it even better. When I was at WGU I converted some PDFs to kindle size and "emailed" it to the Kindle keyboard which was convenient.
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm interested in maybe the Paperwhite. Is this device decent when viewing Safari Books? I'm guessing the app works on this one? Is it cumbersome viewing diagrams/charts (Cisco Press books)?
  • Options
    I don't think you can use the paperwhite with Safari. The Kindle Fire uses Android so you can easily install the Android Safari App. I don't think the paperwhite is android-based at all
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
    Not for me. The resolution is pretty high (2560x1600) and I don't tend to suffer from eye strain as much as most people. That being said, its still a lot easier to read off my Kindle for long periods of time vs my computer monitors.

Would you say that the reading is better on the Fire than any other tablet or it is almost the same thing?
  • Options
    I haven't owned a ton of tablets over the years but it was better than all of the others ones I've owned to date.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I'm interested in maybe the Paperwhite. Is this device decent when viewing Safari Books? I'm guessing the app works on this one? Is it cumbersome viewing diagrams/charts (Cisco Press books)?

If you're looking to use the Safari app or any app for that matter you will need to look elsewhere since it is not available on the Paperwhite.
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Picked up a Nextbook Windows tablet with keyboard in Walmart about 2 months ago for 200 dollars Best mulipurpose tablet I have ever owned. Reader, Work PC, comic books, videos, etc... Just upgraded tonWin 10 the other day and it works great. They also have an Android version for 175. Highly recommended.

Corey
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I haven't owned a ton of tablets over the years but it was better than all of the others ones I've owned to date.

i again agree with Iris, I had a Droid Xyboard and a Samsung Tab, but my Fire is much better for reading
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'm a kindle addict...but I must admit I never use it to read tech books icon_lol.gif

I concur, I read a ton of psychology books and reverse psychology books, but hardly ever do I read technical. I prefer the hardcovers cause of the chapter questions and accomplishment of finishing a big ass book.

I'm actually addicted to psychology books on the female mind, being a alpha male it has it's perks..
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love my Kindle Paperwhite (and loved my 2nd gen Kindle), but I cannot use them for technical books, in most cases. They are fantastic for reading novels and such, however. Beyond the screen size (which is my primary issue for technical books), I find myself flipping back and forth in books so often that it just isn't very conducive to using an eReader, imo. I still like getting physical books for that, I just try to limit the number I get to those that I really need.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    I don't think you can use the paperwhite with Safari. The Kindle Fire uses Android so you can easily install the Android Safari App. I don't think the paperwhite is android-based at all

I use the "Experimental Browser" and the mobile site for Safari. I don't really find it very usable, but others may.
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I concur, I read a ton of psychology books and reverse psychology books, but hardly ever do I read technical. I prefer the hardcovers cause of the chapter questions and accomplishment of finishing a big ass book.

I'm actually addicted to psychology books on the female mind, being a alpha male it has it's perks..

I have to think that if the editors of the eBooks did a better job, they could make them far more usable, especially in-context to what you are saying. Have the questions link to the answers in the back, and vice-versa. In addition, ensure that all of the summary sections link to the sections within each chapter and have links back to the table of contents at each. Also, if you reference another section... make it a link to the section. None of it is rocket science, but it just doesn't seem to be done very often.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I love my Kindle Fire. I have an older model Kindle reader just for plain text but the Fire is good as a reader and more convenient as a tablet. I have kindle unlimited so access to a bunch of free books.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I just ordered a Kindle Voyage. I'm forcing myself to read for leisure because I've done nothing but read technical crap and cert study guides for the past year. I'm also moving away from hands-on technical security (a topic for a different post to come), and some of the material I will be studying is mostly text so the Voyage is perfect. I have an iPad Air I use for PDFs and technical stuff.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    SGITSGIT Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've only read kindle books on my PC so far using Amazon's Kindle for PC.
    In the future I was thinking of getting an Android Tablet for reading Kindle books.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I use a Nvidia Shield as my eReader. ($200)
    - Use Moon Reader for eBooks
    - use ezPDF for tech books

My wife uses an iPad mini ($299)

Kiddo uses a Kindle Fire scripted to remove ads. ($50)
    - Use built in book reader for books
    - Use ezPDF for tech books when I tested it

All 3 I have had no issues reading books on.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I use a Nvidia Shield as my eReader. ($200)
    - Use Moon Reader for eBooks
    - use ezPDF for tech books

My wife uses an iPad mini ($299)

Kiddo uses a Kindle Fire scripted to remove ads. ($50)
    - Use built in book reader for books
    - Use ezPDF for tech books when I tested it

All 3 I have had no issues reading books on.

How is the battery life on that nVidia?
  • Options
    I was to revise my earlier statement, especially in regards to Safari Book Online on the Kindle (Paperwhite). I had used the browser in the past to access books that you couldn't get an offline copy (I am not sure if this feature is available to users, but my access is through work and we have a large partner program). Anyhow, a couple of the books that I am reading now are not available for offline mode and I went ahead and bought them, especially since I was becoming rather frustrated with them on the Kindle. Well, I decided I would go to bed at a reasonable time (something I try to do at least once a week) and figured I would take my Kindle with me to read for a bit as that always helps me to fall asleep. I got to goofing around with the settings in the browser and if you check the menu, it has "Article Mode". This changes things for me, considerably. Mostly, it is meant to get rid of all of the excess junk on regular websites, making it easier to render more quickly and not need the ads and javascript, blah. Well, I think that they use some layers in SBO so that each chapter is really just one page and when you go through each chapter section and hit next, it is just hiding one layer and presenting another. In article mode, it essentially makes it like reading a native eBook. The font is readable and the entire chapter is presented. It is rendered relatively quickly and it is a much better experience. So long as it isn't heavy into diagrams or you don't mind skipping them, it is fine.

Thumbs up for the feature.
  • Options
    siderealprexsiderealprex Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gonna contribute to this thread as I love reading on the paperwhite. Kindle paperwhite is like reading a book with backlight on. If reading a regular book is straining to your eye, then a kindle fire will strain your eye a bit more depending on the settings. Because it is a screen and not ink. Just like your computer. Kindle paperwhite, however, has ink which gets supplemented by backlighting for low light reading, reading at night, or even during the brightest day.

If you own a kindle, an application called Calibre is a must have and it is free. It will convert your books from any format to mobi(which what the kindle is optimized for). It can also manage your kindle books through there. It doesn't matter where you get the book from as long as you have this app.

Over all I recommend getting the paperwhite for technical reading and non-technical reading for leisure and self improvement and not for note taking and taking on a course. This is due to the fact that nothing can replace a book for note taking
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Remedymp wrote: »
    How is the battery life on that nVidia?

Reading, surfing, etc - 10 Hours
    Full 3D Gameplay or Streaming via NVIDIA to Tablet - 3hours
    Video watching - ~7 hours straight
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got an ipad pro for as an x-mas with the pencil. I haven't put it much to the test yet. I am also a physical note taker, no typing for me, not for study reference anyway. The mind learns better by writing down notes IMO anyway. I need to look more into what the capabilities are available for the ipad pro, this landscape idea with with 2 apps running simultaneously perks my interests. I need to look into that and the the capabilities for study. I have thought at a minimum I can convert my notes completely into digital copies atleast for ease or organization and reference.

EDIT: I just downloaded Evernote over my lunch break for my ipad pro. So far so good. The pencil writes to it with zero latency. Looks like I may have found my new digital note pad :)
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi