Microsoft is merging its MCSAs with Linux!

Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

So I just found out the MCSA: Linux on Azure is a real thing.

And that you have to pass a Linux Sys Admin cert along with the Azure exam to get it.

I've come to learn that Server 2016 MCSA will have a similar requirement for a Linux Server cert exam as a part of it, as will Windows 10 MCSA but I'm waiting on public disclosure before believing those two things.

Gone are the days Microsoft bashes Linux and refers to them as thieves and crooks! XD

I'm so stoked and excited!
Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
WGU-Software Development Student

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Windows 10 MCSA has been released for a little while and does not seem to have any Linux component. I would be surprised to see a Linux component in either of these, since they are focussed on specific MS technologies. The MCSA Linux on Azure is a different animal, since Azure is IaaS and so knowing how to integrate with the internet's favourite OS is a smart move.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Azure is Linux Ubuntu with a Microsoft GUI....... Microsoft even admitted to it..................................icon_cool.gifThe Kernal for WIndows 10 is based/built off the Linux Kernel from what I've heard/have found via study groups that broke down their code. At least it's what I've been told, no confirmation from Microsoft. But Azure is Linux with a microsoft GUI.
    Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
    WGU-Software Development Student
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since at least 2000 Windows has been based on the NT Kernel. Azure depending on what you're looking into only uses linux for their switches. So if by admitting that, then I guess you're right. At the core it is still very Windows.

I don't see Linux coming to their OS and server certs. Good luck, don't think that is happening.

Also don't get comfortable with Microsoft cozying up to Linux. They did try to actively destroy Linux in the 90s. Please look at their policy of EEE and FUD
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Yeah, I'm going to be bold here and say that those claims are not true. As far as MS using Linux and Azure go, there is Azure Cloud Switch, and HDInsight. The MCSA Linux on Azure is aimed at people running Linux VMs on Azure infrastructure.

As for the Windows 10 kernel being Linux, there's lots of reasons why this claim is deeply suspect. Firstly, it would require major changes for Windows or Linux, since they have different ways of doing things - why would MS throw out a 20+ year old proven architecture for something else? The other big, big flag is that Linux is GPL, so that Windows would have to release the source code for derivative works for free. That would be a pretty big deal. And this is not reported in mainstream news anywhere. Something this radical would be everywhere​.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When Microsoft was developing Hyper-V, it had technology sharing agreement with Xen as per https://news.microsoft.com/2006/07/17/microsoft-and-xensource-to-develop-interoperability-for-windows-server-longhorn-virtualization/

Hence Hyper-V has similar architecture to Xen. This was also mentioned at http://www.zdnet.com/article/review-microsofts-hyper-v-puts-vmware-and-linux-on-notice/
    However Hyper-V hypervisor is still a custom kernel unique to Microsoft, it is not a pure Linux kernel.

RedHat used to support Xen in RHEL 5, added KVM support in RHEL 5.4 and dropped Xen support in RHEL 6. (http://www.infoworld.com/article/2627019/server-virtualization/red-hat-drops-xen-in-favor-of-kvm-in-rhel-6.html)

As I understand, AWS is still on Xen.

So all of you are correct in that Hyper-V is and is not Linux.
    Do feel free to point out any mistakes in my post. ☺
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Citrix has released the source code to Xen if I'm not mistaken.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Yeah, the agreement with Xen was 'technology sharing' and interoperability. This could mean anything from making their VM container formats easy to move between the systems, to ensuring no patent arguments, to sharing fundamental code. But there is nothing in this which says that Hyper-V is using a Linux kernel or substantial bits of Linuxland code. Unless someone out there has a reliable source that says otherwise, I will remain deeply skeptical.