Options

Resume Critque

seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Since I've changed positions a couple times and got my MCSA I decided to update my resume and looking for thoughts. Does it seem to cluttered? To much information? I gave my entire job history from 2008-now except a brief freelance/self employment period.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B9860423533C42FE!2724&authkey=!AL_fU0SXCPSnQTQ&ithint=file%2cdocx
LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
Up Next - MCSE: Communication
2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im a fan of bullet points instead of blocks of text.
    Also I keep my resume down to a single page.
    I do not have skills section either.

Looking at your work history it looks like you made a bunch of small jumps or even sideways movements... Im curious as to why?
    Im just going based off the job titles. I could be way off.
  • Options
    Yea normally I've used word resume templates and they seem to use bullet points but this is one I done myself and just went with basic text. I may look at changing that if it'd make it more readable.

The job changes were all promotions within the company. I've only worked for 3 companies since 2008 but been promoted 2-3 times within each company.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Yikes,

I'm going to be brutally honest this needs a complete overhaul in my opinion. First of all, yes... This is waaaay too much information and it's formatted in a way which makes it look overwhelming.

First of all cut your summary in half and then cut it in half again. Take the whole bit about working from home out of there, it's unnecessary and companies may lose interest immediately if you have these demands in your resume. Move skills to the top, we want those to be seen first..

Next, I see three companies?? Intermedia, Apple, and NCR?? When I first glanced at your resume it was hard to actually determine if you had eight different positions or if you had just moved up a lot. You need to find a way to make it easy to differentiate.

Lastly, the biggest problem is just the sheer amount of information. For each job think of what tasks you did the most and then try to make those as short and sweet as possible in bullet points. I may not be the most technically savvy person on this site but I've done my fair share of job hopping for better and for worse and I know how to get hired. That resume will get tossed... Here's a little snip of my actual resume..

Large Tech Company
    Senior Enterprise Technical Support Analyst
    A global technology organization that serves millions of people worldwide and has over 100,000 employees

· Part of a global support operation that is in charge of providing technical support and expertise in (Large Tech Company) storage to thousands of customers around the world.

· Offer assistance and guidance with configuring, managing, and troubleshooting customer storage area networks including; Storage infrastructure / hardware, physical cabling, iSCSI, Fibre channel, SAS, storage tiering, storage management, and replication

· Responsible for exceptionally documenting all incidents and customer correspondence while keeping customers informed of update statuses, resolutions, and escalations.
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The one thing that caught my eye was how you used "weird" to describe Exchange issues escalated to you. Perhaps "obscure", "unusual" or "challenging" would be a better adjective.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    I greatly appreciate the advise so far and yea looking back at it, it definitely needs some work/changes. I don't really have any intention of applying to anything anytime soon with it but just wanted to update it and thought I'd try my hand doing it all myself lol.

Thanks again for the tips and help
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    seth479 wrote: »

The job changes were all promotions within the company. I've only worked for 3 companies since 2008 but been promoted 2-3 times within each company.
    I see
    When I am in that situation I only list the highest level job in the resume and then put in a bullet point that you were promoted from X position.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree that you need to add bullets. Most folks will glance at your resume and maybe give it about 13 seconds. Blocks of text may not get processed. Definitely make the summary more concise. Focus on what you bring to the table, not the job you are looking for. I would even consider adding an areas of expertise below the summary with about 6-9 bullets of what your areas of expertise are. These are the skills you want them to see now matter once and since many wont get past the top third of your resume, the summary and areas of expertise are key imo.

Im of the opinion that its good to move skills and certs to the top above experience. But you need to make that more concise, maybe work on the formatting.

For each role, i think its ok to have a short paragraph describing what you did at that job. But you need 2 or 3 bullets of special accomplishments. Again, this is what will catch most eyes as they may not read the blocks of text.

See this resume example. its a CIO resume but dont get caught up about that. its the formatting that i want to get across. See how it flows and how much you learn about them in the top third of the resume. Thats what you want.
    tate-cameron---cio-resume-new.pdf
  • Options
    I made some changes. I ended up just using a Word template lol and left out one of the employers. Should I go ahead and put it in there? Maybe explain it if/when I talk to HR or the hiring person?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B9860423533C42FE!2729&authkey=!ACSxL6qX0JdsnQM&ithint=file%2cdocx
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    seth479 wrote: »
    I made some changes. I ended up just using a Word template lol and left out one of the employers. Should I go ahead and put it in there? Maybe explain it if/when I talk to HR or the hiring person?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B9860423533C42FE!2729&authkey=!ACSxL6qX0JdsnQM&ithint=file%2cdocx

Looks alot better than before. remove the references line.
  • Options
    thaiguy314thaiguy314 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Second version looks really good especially compared to the first. My only tip is to quantify some of your bullet points, might get you longer looks since "high number" is pretty subjective and doesn't tell your potential employer anything. So you could break up the third bullet on NCR to:

-Maintained (%) resolution rate, (%) call handling rate and averaged (#) on store surveys
    -Chosen by management to train (#) new employees

Not really substantial but just my two cents. Good luck!
    Certs: CISSP, CEH, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+