Options

Should I get my certifications as a student? (Resume Advice)

SweeceSweece Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello there,

This is my first post to the forum. My question is, should I start getting my certifications now as an undergrad student while I'm still in school? Basically, I am trying to look for an internship in IT for this summer. Unfortunately, I have no experience and really nothing to offer on my resume to set me above the rest. I am really interested in IT and more specifically, Network Engineering. My career goal is to be a Network Engineer, but right now I am just another student with zero experience. Will having certifications on my resume increase my chance of being hired? I know I need experience to get an entry level job, but right now I am struggling to even get that experience. Any advice or direction helps. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nothing can replace experience. Certifications can help in your situation, but it should not be the only source to get a job. In your case it could help but many jobs these days ask for experience. You could try to get the CCNA and it could slightly improve the chances of you getting a job, but its not a sure thing. Try to volunteer on the side if no one is calling you up that way you can put that on your resume and they will see you are doing something and you will be getting experience. If I was you I would try to get the Network+ and CCNA before you graduate, get any internship networking related even if it is non paid. You could come off with learning a lot and get professional references at the end. It is also essential that you try to get as much experience as you can before you graduate. So always be on the hunt for IT related internships, part time jobs, work study jobs, etc.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    To answer your question; yes the certifications will help but without experience it is going to be hard to get past the interview stage as there are a lot of paper qualified network engineers out there with at least some experience and loads with the same certs.

I would focus on getting experience through volunteering to smaller places (local charities, smaller companies) where you can at least get some hands on with their network and general IT support. It isn't going to be the best experience but in your situation it is unlikely a network company or larger organisation with better network kit is going to take you on yet.

You would benefit from spending a lot of time on network forums where they talk about real world issues and you start to see where the disconnects occur between what the vendor says about their product and what it can actually do, plus the type of mistakes that need to be fixed on a regular basis - all good material to help with knowing what to expect in the real world and - importantly - in interview questions.

Good luck if you can get an internship working in networking, but these are few and far between so I would recommend you have several alternative plans as backup.

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Entry-level / Associate-level certifications are going to be helpful, notably the CCNA. Getting your foot in the door in networking can be really tough
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, it will 'help', however..experience is an additional boost to your hiring potential...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Definitely having some entry level certs would help get you an internship. I actually see job posts for them once in a while. Usually those postings are requesting OSI layer knowledge, Active directory, and desktop knowledge. If you bring the personality and can showcase your hunger to learn you will have good chances on somebody bringing you in for an internship. A+ and Network+ would be a good start.

This is my opinion regarding getting you closer to a networking role once you are done with school. Not sure what you are majoring but if its a Bachelors in Computer Science know your programming especially scripting (python/perl), linux shell and get your CCNA. Coming out of college you'd be more apt to get a role in a NOC or some kind of junior networking position of course as long as you come off as extremely likeable and hungry in the interview. Yes there is a lot of competition but I know places that higher green candidates with the right kind of personality that they can bring in to mentor and do grunt work for lower pay.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First, welcome to TE!

Second, getting a certification won't hurt, unless it impacts your GPA. Just don't go above, say, the CCNA level or you will definitely place yourself in the paper tiger category. Microsoft and CompTIA have entry level certifications (MTA Networking Fundamentals [98-366] and Network+ [N10-006], respectively), which might be useful, though these would be considered below the CCNA.

Third, consider contacting your university's career center and ask about internship opportunities, you'll be surprised at the number of companies that offer them. In addition to that, join Linkedin and follow the companies that advertise for network jobs in your area (you can use indeed.com to find said jobs in your area). Conduct a search for alumni who work at those companies and think about contacting them respectfully and ask them for advice (career as well as how to get internships at the company).

Again, welcome to TE, enjoy the IT/certification ride, and keep us posted!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As a recent grad, I started my internships with no background in IT and no certs. Go to your career counselors or professors. Ask them if they know where you can score an internship. I got directed to the career counselors at my school by one of my professors. If you want to take the first "baby-steps" get the CCNA or least the CCENT.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I've been singing this song a while now, but as a student just getting into the market you should consider taking a look at Salesforce.

Granted I'm biased, but the Salesforce talent shortage right now is so insane and will make you more valuable faster than being in networking.

4/5 years ago, I was sure a similar path was the way to go, but opportunity dropped in my lap. Just a thought. I never thought I'd be where I currently am so quickly.
  • Options
    SweeceSweece Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes, right now I am a junior in college majoring in Computer Science. It's just really unfortunate because the program at my school is absolutely horrid. In order to be prepared for what I want to do as a career, I have to learn everything on my own. I'm really only staying in school to show employers I have a degree. I just figured out what I want to do with this major and it's a shame I'm so far into to school and I've just started looking for internships.

What I've taken from all your responses is that I should be volunteering and getting unpaid experience. That's the only way I can see myself getting experience because even these paid student internships require experience. I will definitely look into the Microsoft and Network+ certificates and maybe move onto the CCNA, that was a great suggestion.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    Sweece wrote: »
    What I've taken from all your responses is that I should be volunteering and getting unpaid experience. That's the only way I can see myself getting experience because even these paid student internships require experience. I will definitely look into the Microsoft and Network+ certificates and maybe move onto the CCNA, that was a great suggestion.

Don't let a experience requirement prevent you from applying for a job posting. Almost all of them will still consider a candidate that doesn't meet the requirements. A CS degree does carry some weight, even if you think the program is garbage. Many HR departments will count your four year degree as four years of experience.
  • Options
    MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    Certifications will certainly open a few doors for you, but your ability to interview well will get you hired. Certs are are borderline overrated. Experience still reigns.
  • Options
    ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As others have pointed out, the CompTIA certifications will probably increase your chance of getting an internship or possibly a job after graduation. At least, it can definitely boost your confidence for when you go into the interview. You could definitely knock out Network+ by this summer, and maybe Security+ if you are interested and can afford to spend time on it. It will show you that you are self-learner, and Security+ is sought after even in the bottom of IT food chain; helpdesk jobs. I got Net+ and Sec+ in my final year in college, and I was lucky enough to be able to sift through several job offers.
    Sweece wrote: »
    I just figured out what I want to do with this major and it's a shame I'm so far into to school and I've just started looking for internships.

I wouldn't let this beat you up. I had to turn down an internship opportunity to work at a grocery store just to live during my college years, but I'm doing ok-ish now.

"Action is a great restorer and builder of confidence. Inaction is not only the result, but the cause, of fear. Perhaps the action you take will be successful; perhaps different action or adjustments will have to follow. But any action is better than no action at all."
    -Norman Vincent Peale

Good luck!
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D