Options

NEW WGU- BSIT- Security

whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I had a thread a while back when i planned to start WGU, but thought it was good to start a new one.

I have taken and passed the Network+ and Security+ for the WGU degree plan.

I have also taken and passed the CISSP in November.

I currently have 8 classes to take to complete my degree and then i will begin to work on my masters.
WGU BS: IT-Security
In Progress: C170, C246
To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179

Comments

• Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice work on the CISSP. Keep trucking along and those eight courses will be behind you soon enough. You'll be going for the MSISA I presume?
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome good luck on your last courses!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    @GSX- I haven't decided if the MSISA is what I want or the MBA route. Have some time to decide.

@Dakinggamer- you completed the same degree I am going for. Currently I have CCENT,Crna,CCNA:S and Linux for carts, then the DB course (on it now and hate DB) the capstone and tech writing.

Any help on the DB course you could give would be awesome.
  • Options
    Also just received my congratulations email from ISC2 I and endorsed for CISSP
  • Options
    I was going to do the MBAITM route, but I opted for the MSITM at the last minute. Things are more applicable to me in that program.

I think the database course changed shortly after I completed it (I finished my BSIT-Sec this past May). It was CJV1 when I took it. All I have from it are the course downloads (text, handouts, labs, etc.) and my score sheet from the CIW exam which I think is no longer used.
  • Options
    yeah they do an in-house test on this one now, with a database that has to be built for the hands on.
  • Options
    Yea, just looked at the COS and it's night and day different (assuming it's the C175/C170 combo). Actually looks like a better deal now as far as learning.

"I don't always mess with SQL, but when I do, I drop tables." -- The Most Interesting Man in the World
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Hey whotime, I struggled in the SQL class (mostly the normalization process). I wrote this up for a few people and maybe it will help you:

So, I completed C170 (Databases) a couple of weeks ago. Here is my review:

I have ZERO background in SQL (or programming, for that matter) so I knew this class would challenge me. There is an objective and performance assessment - the performance assessment requiring you to take unnormalized data, convert it to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd normal form and then create tables with that data. It took me 2 weeks to complete the project (I spent around 25-30 hours on it) and I hated it. You may grasp the material better than I did but I just cannot stand SQL. The objective assessment relies HEAVILY on the UCertify material. I suggest reading each chapter and going through some of the flash cards. ENSURE you are familiar with database normalization and entity relationships. I suggest taking the preassessment a few times to gauge your knowledge and begin working on the project before you take the objective assessment as it will really help you remember correct syntax.

Also, search for MySQL syntax on Google and REALLY try to practice and memorize some of the syntax as it will help significantly on the exam!

It took me around 1.5 months to complete the class, though I only put in 15-20 hours a week, tops. I have a wife and 2 year old daughter so time is precious to me. My advice, watch the CLASS COHORT VIDEO as I could not have completed the project without it. Also, utilize your course mentor if you need help. I booked my mentor 3 times and each time I did I was able to get through whatever hump I was stuck at. I cannot emphasize that enough.

So, in summary, make sure you READ the UCertify material on SQL as the exam likes to pull from that. Focus specifically on entity relationships and database normalization. I recommend you email your course mentor and ask for the link to the normalization case study (will REALLY help you during the project). Also, the cohort videos by Maria are fantastic and are the only reason I finished that project. Another tip on the project: READ the directions step-by-step, ensuring you dont miss anything. The rubric grades very specific and you need to follow it to the tee.

Also, TAKE the preassessment as that really helped me prepare for the exam. Starting the first half of the project helped me pass the exam so I recommend also doing that. Understand the syntax of SQL and what correct strings look like. If you get stuck contact your course mentor. I cannot stress that enough. My course mentor helped me through some tough areas I couldnt have gotten through without her. Oh, and use w3schools.com to help instill syntax and anytime you cannot remember what something does in a line.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon