Options

Job offer advice

Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently interviewed with and received an offer from a Cisco Gold partner in Northern VA. The position is a junior role as Network Technician with around 75% travel, mostly local but occasional continental US. The offer is more than my current salary, but less than I was hoping for and was wondering what would be a good amount to ask for. I'm currently at $57,000 with no benefits or job stability (30% cuts coming soon), on a contract.

I've only around 3.5 years of experience total in IT, with some basic LAN administration (port configurations, VLANs, STP, etc). My current role is Network/Systems administrator working mainly in VMware and Windows Server. This new role would be almost 100% Cisco switching/routing in the form of new builds and configurations on a large scale (SLED), working alongside senior level CCIE engineers.

Benefits are good with 401K matching dollar for dollar after 3 years, 5 days sick, 10 vacation per year, life, disability, medical and dental. Quarterly commissions for pre-sales, paid training and travel expenses. A great opportunity to build my skills and learn a great deal, however, I'm concerned about the amount of travel, tolls, time away from home, etc. I've responded with a request for $70K, which seems to be the going rate in the Washington DC area for similar roles. Haven't heard back yet. Also, I've messed up and disclosed my current salary during the interview. Their offer was only a few thousand over my current salary.

What do you think? Is that amount off-putting? Should I accept less given my experience level? Am I being greedy considering the other benefits on top of the base pay?

Thanks for any advice.

Edit - forgot to add that my commute to the office is around 45 minutes to an hour, and then company cars for the commute after that - into the surrounding NoVA area.

Comments

• Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing that annoy me is when employers ask you what you are currently making and assume you will just accept that or a small increase. it's like no, I've gained x amount of experience in my current role. So personally I'm always going to expect quite a bit more at my next job.

If I only wanted a tiny increase I would just stay where I'm at.
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Update - So, it looks to be a take it or leave it situation. I spoke to them earlier and the position is 60K final. No wiggle room on additional sick/vacation time. The tolls getting to the new job comes to $3000 a year which puts me even on the pay with my current gig, but I do have benefits on top of that.

I'm really torn on this situation. I really want the experience and to be doing what I really want to be doing. However, the pay isn't what I'd like. Do I sacrifice the pay, gain the experience and benefits? Do I stay where I'm at, low stress, no travel, home all the time, possibility of being laid off?

Another thing I need to consider is that I have some medical problems that makes travel sometimes difficult. That alone makes me want to stay put. I can manage but it's tough somedays.

I don't know. I've got a day or two to think it over, plus another interview with a local company on Monday and another one looking me over for a possible interview.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it's a good move up in terms of experience, how fast do you think you could hop to a better job with your new experience?

The way I see it, you probably lose a little on the money (those tolls? Pretty sure you'd pay them from your net income, not from your pre-tax income, and they aren't deductible if you're not self-employed/contractor/incorporated).

However, it also seems to be a massive gain in terms of job responsibility, experience, and benefits.

Dental? Perfect, you or your partner can get all your teeth done you've been putting off. Medical? Also good, even if you're healthy, a free checkup is a free checkup (but what do I know, I'm Canadian).

You also can't underestimate working with CCIEs supervising you. As long as you'll be doing your own work and not just copy-pasting configs (and it sounds like you'll be doing your own work), it's a golden opportunity to learn.

If I were you and wanted to pursue networking, I'd take this job, milk it for benefits/learning opportunities/travel expenses, and look to move after about a year. There's a huge difference in applying/interviewing for a new job when you can say "I've done some basic LAN configuration like STP and VLANs" and being able to say "Oh yeah, I was one of the engineers on a team that designed and deployed a 10,000 host network at XYZ Data Centre. Man, the NIST requirements made it a ***** to lay out, as the project manager wanted separate physical networks instead of just VLANs."
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agree with LeBroke. I'd take the experience for at least 1 year (2 would be preferable) and then start sending out resumes. Also, start working on CCNP level exams as you gain experience. 2 years of solid experience and a CCNP should net you a nice jump in salary.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Looks like great experience. And with looming cuts, i would take it for a year. If you dont like it you should have options and a better pay raise in your next move.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your words here suggest you don't want it. I personally wouldn't take it because I like to work on single environments and couldn't see myself being like the stressed out traveling techs I've met. On first glance admin to tech screams regression which can kill a resume unless you're willing to put in a few years to get a more appealing title (to hr). There's always better opportunities down the road, it often requires patience.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Sounds like a good opportunity. You have to think long term. Will taking this opportunity now put you in a better position a year, 2 years, 5 years from now? Early in your career you need to chase experience, not money. Once you have the experience, the money will come.