Updating lab (not looking for typical advice)

advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,

Currently looking to piece together a lab while I'm deployed. I have about 3 3550 switches and if I remember correctly, a few 2500 or 2600 series routers (not new by any means), 1 or 2 1700 series routers, and a 2509. I have an NM-8A/S as well to create a frame relay switch.. I never really got around to it.

My questions are the following:

1. What routers/switches do you think would best serve my needs a year from now and beyond? I know that IOS 15 is a priority. My main concern here is that by the time I get back into country, something may possibly change. I am looking for a bit of future proofing. Buying things this far out and staggering them will allow me to ease the stress on the pocketbook. I'm not hurting by any means, I just don't like large purchases.

2. What ASA would you recommend that will not break the bank, is going to be around a while (future proof), and I can justify to my wife... ;)

3. Other than dantrak made racks, what other racks would you recommend?

4. Are there any sellers that you suggest? Any companies you've had luck with in the past buying bulk? I don't want to buy kits unless someone here can say that they are reasonable. I know they are typically overpriced.

5. Are there any sellers in the community currently? If so and it's reasonable, I would choose to support them instead.

Thanks for reading. I know this stuff is posted a lot, but I hope to get some different dialogue than the others.

-J
Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog

Comments