Options

Trying to transition from helpdesk to NOC - resume review

OrcristOrcrist Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've got about 2 years experience doing helpdesk work and a good amount of certifications. At this point I'm certain that it's my resume that holding me back. Is there anything I can do to improve it?

Link to Resume
Resume Version 2

Comments

• Options
    jottojotto Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your resume is missing the scope of your current environment, your 3rd bullet point states that you closed a avg of 70% --but how many tickets is that? We can assume the network is large but the HR person wont know that.

Your Staples position seems like an afterthought - throw in how much money you brought in as a tech - if its estimated -state that. You need more more meat than 2 bullet points, same with your small company technician position.

But I would say at this point your resume looks like your job hoping and there is a month gap between your first job to your second. Which could mean a gap in employment, usually if there was a gap that's a sign someone was either fired or laid off. A small thing to you but a red flag to HR. Given your length at your positions I would say it would be beneficial to add some numbers to your previous and current position, expand on the depth of your previous jobs and account for your gap in employment. In its current state it would be questioned for those things mentioned.

Source: I used to be a HR liaison for transitioning military. I would translate military roles into civilian positions and wrote resumes.
  • Options
    OrcristOrcrist Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your help! I didn't notice any of those problems and I've been using this resume for a while now.

The gaps in employment were mostly due to the first two jobs being part time while I went to school. The first company went under and I took a month break before starting again at Staples. The corporate job I'm at now is actually my first "real" job.

I updated my resume with your suggestions and added a little more relevant info. In the interest of keeping it 1 page, I didn't add anything new under the Local Company section

Resume Version 2
  • Options
    jottojotto Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks much better! Don't worry about spilling onto another page, yes the norm is 1 page resumes for a lot of career fields but 1 and a half to 2 pages is also acceptable. I would not go over 2 though and if you have 2 pages you need to make bullet points short and to the point so it is easier to read. A resume gets looked at and judged the first 5 seconds - if it is too wordy it will be overlooked. I would say stick with using your second revision.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It could really use a short summary that grabs attention in those 5 seconds. Also I think a short summary for each position looks good above the bullet points.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)